Rae Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Rae Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Postby Tapout or Blackout » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:16 am

Does anyone know how the Rae Lakes Loop trail conditions are going to be like end of March, beginning of April? I'm considering doing a backpack trip, but don't know if there will be too much snow. I'm not a great navigator, so will need at least a partially defined path.
User avatar
Tapout or Blackout
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Postby Ellen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am

Howdy :)

Recommend checking the Whitney Portal Store hiking forum and Summitpost.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... 1e6984a11d

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewfo ... ebf9a958c7

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 am

I'd say there'd be a lot of snow, particularly on the pass just south of Rae Lakes (Glen Pass, 11,978'). Are you planning a snow shoe backpack?

That's a super popular area, so the trails might be tracked; I honestly don't know, but you could still be getting significant snow fall that time of year, so even if someone had broken trail, it could get snowed up again.

Part of that route is the PCT. The PCT is of course pretty well traveled, and this year's through hikers will be coming through. However, March and April are still fairly early for most through hikers. Through hikers typically enter the Sierra in June.

You might want to also pose that question on Summit Post or the Whitney Portal boards which are more Sierra specific.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Rae Lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Postby KathyW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 am

Tapout or Blackout wrote:Does anyone know how the Rae Lakes Loop trail conditions are going to be like end of March, beginning of April? I'm considering doing a backpack trip, but don't know if there will be too much snow. I'm not a great navigator, so will need at least a partially defined path.


Snow and lots of snow.

Here's some info on snow depth...etc. in the Sierra:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES

To give you an idea:

Here's last year at the end of May looking over at Mt Gardiner, Mt Cotter, and Mt Clarence King above Sixty Lakes Basin and Arrowhead and Dollar Lakes from Diamond Peak near Baxter Pass:

Image

Here's the view from toward Mount Silliman/Pear Lake and beyond from Alta Peak in the middle of April 2008 (a low snow year):

Image

April through June is often a wonderful time in the Sierra, but there's lots of snow.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby Tapout or Blackout » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for the tips fellas. I didn't consider the showshoe aspect, but will bring them along if I go. I'll have to give Big Sur some more consideration.
User avatar
Tapout or Blackout
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 pm


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests