3 Saints

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

3 Saints

Postby AlanK » Wed May 16, 2007 5:28 pm

This part of the message board needs some action. There has been discussion of 3 Saints day hikes on Richard P's board. The Three Saints are San Antonio, San Gorgonio, and San Jacinto.

This seems like a worthwhile project. One question that arises is what is the best approach to doing a Purist Three Saints (no tram)? The Devil's SLide Trail seems to come up a lot.

http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=1873
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.ph ... ght=saints
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.ph ... ght=saints
AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Sounds like fun, though if you're contemplating a "purist" route, there's always the option of starting at the museum (at the very base of the mountain) and then using the PCT and only foot power to go between the peaks. I don't know where the PCT goes after it leaves the Big Bear area, though, so I'm not sure that would work.

The freeway driving between locations has always struck me as an odd bedfellow with wilderness hiking. Add to that my body's tendency to shut down entirely after about 10 minutes of sitting still, and it would be tough. Still, it would allow a bit of time to eat and laugh with friends at the sheer madness of what you were attempting. Are you and your son thinking about doing it?

z
zippetydude

Postby AlanK » Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Z -- I think that the 3 Saints challenge is arbitrary, silly, and... rather tempting, atcually. Eric and I had talked about trying it sometime. I had no qualms about using the tram. However, Rick Graham did the tram version and is thinking about a tram-free one. To Eric's 17-year old mind, this somehow makes sense. I seem to be in the indulgent father mode becuase I am now thinking about it too. Plus, it's always good to hike with Rick. (We met him a couple of years ago in the Baldy area. We were doing a 6 Peaks hike, inspired by his TR from the week before. He was going the other way, extending it to a 9 Peaks hike. A good introduction to Rick Graham.)

I agree that talking about a purist version is a bit ironic, given the use of the freeways. But we use them all the time to get to and from trailheads. To me, the biggest problem, aside from the number of miles involved, is the sitting in a car between hikes. From Baldy to Forest Falls would be no problem, but I see soreness in my future if I try to drive to Idyllwild to hike after doing Vivian Creek.

Nevertheless, we're thinking about it.

For now, something positively sane -- C2C on Saturday. I always look forward to that one!
AlanK

Postby cynthia23 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Although this would be quite beyond my capabilities--barring a personal helicopter--I do like the idea of scheduling peak bagging on the basis of religious imagery. But why stop there? The possibilites are endless: all the peaks that rhyme. All the peaks which start with the letter Q. Or those named after people from Arkansas. Named after literary characters. Named after Disney characters. How about all the "Devil" peaks (those named Diablo) to follow the Saints?

I tell you what. I'll plan the routes. You boys can execute.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby AlanK » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Cynthia -- maybe we can work something out. You certanly grasp the spirit of picking out crazy goals. Unfortunately, if you're good at this, you should be able to kill off the poor saps executing the plans. Which might be me.

I do like the idea of taking the Devil's Slide Trail to complete the 3 Saints hike.

For those who believe in the principle of separation of church and hiking, we can switch to other names.
Mt. San Antonio = Old Baldy
Mt. San Gorgonio = Old Grayback
Mt. San Jacinto = Old ???
AlanK

Postby cynthia23 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Hm. Old Fart, Old Geezer, or Dirty Old Man? None seem quite right. For the first, we would need a Volcanic Peak; the second, something with an erupting hot springs, for the third .... I think I will leave the peak naming to others. Thankfully, it is out of my hands.

Anyway, getting back to the Three Saints idea--I utterly reject the idea of driving from peak to peak. This is clearly all wrong. The guiding aesthetic here should be a Mexican religious pilgrimage. Therefore, it's clear: you travel between the peaks on donkeys. Or, if you want to get truly hardcore: on your knees, carrying a cross. But I think that might be a little too theatrical. I think the donkeys would be best ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics