Anybody do the Run Through Redlands on Sunday?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Anybody do the Run Through Redlands on Sunday?

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 pm

I didn't think about it until afterwards, but local races like that would be fun opportunities to meet in person, maybe get a bite to eat afterwards together.

Did anybody do the run? I did the 5k, the first time I've ever done a 5k. It was fun, but man, the pace is crazy fast for a guy like me that usually plugs along Skyline doing 18 minute miles. There were kids (the punks! :wink: ) passing me who ended up running times that averaged out in the sub-7 minute mile range. Go kids go, I was really impressed.

Are there any fun races anyone here would recommend? It's great conditioning for Skyline!

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 pm

You might like the Mt. Wilson Trail Race. However, it is crowded and the downhill is more dangerous than Pikes Peak.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » Wed May 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Howdy Perry :D

When did you do Pike's Peak? It seems like a natural for mountain foxes like you and Zippetydude. I've hiked the Pike's Peak Ascent. Like Skyline to the tram, it has the advantage of NOT having to go back downhill.

Howdy Zippetydude :D

I wouldn't call 18 minute miles on Skyline "plugging along."

Does anyone know if the Baldy Run to the Top is still in existence?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm

AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Just for fun, I went to the results and counted. Six little girls (aged 11-13) beat me! Yeooow!

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Yeah Z, but knowing you, you probably did a 5-hour run the day before that had 6,000 feet of downhill. :D

Ellen, I did Pikes Peak in 2002. Not an impressive time (at least compared to my best runs) but finished 10th and got a free watch and met Matt Carpenter at the awards. (He is way faster than me, even at his age.) In 2003 I dropped out from a broken toe that I actually broke on Mt. San Jacinto running down from the peak. I had sweat on my sunglasses and the shadows hit the rocks at an odd angle. In 2004, finished 11th. In 2005 barely finished and ended up in the hospital with hyponutremia. So it's literally and figuratively been a lot of ups and downs.

Did you live in Colorado or travel for the race?
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » Thu May 03, 2007 10:35 am

Howdy Perry :D

Finishing 10th and 11th overall in the Pike's Peak marathon are incredible accomplishments 8) I'm even more impressed since you don't live at altitude and don't train on the Barr trail. I agree that Matt Carpenter is an amazing athlete.

I travel to Pike's Peak. I live in Riverside and train for Pike's Peak by hiking our local mountains (which I would do regardless since I love the wilderness). Had to give up running in 1991 due to spine problems.

Thanks again for this excellent forum.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics