Page 1 of 1

Yearly Hike Up Pikes Peak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:38 pm
by rggibbons
It's been months since I've posted here but I've still been checking out all the Skyline news from time to time - although with a bit of envy and sometimes even sadness now that I'm living in Denver, which for hiking ain't so bad ;-)

My good friend Jim and I did our yearly hike up Pikes Peak on Friday and had a terrific time. We decided to make it a nighttime hike this year, and started around 12:30 AM. We took our time and enjoyed it and the sun was coming up when we hit the A-frame at timberline. We kept wondering when we'd see someone else but never saw a single blessed soul till we got to the top.

It was really cool getting up there so early and reaching the summit around 7:30 AM. They were doing the time trials for the Race to the Clouds this weekend so we hung around and watched the motorcycles coming up the road. This year a friend met us on top and drove us down and we thought of doing some more since it was so early but temperatures were already in the nineties, so we called it a day. It was really terrific though and for pure enjoyment one of our best hikes up the mountain.

I tell you, I really miss San Jacinto and all my friends on Skyline. I've really got to get back there in October and do it again...Miss you all, Robert

Image

Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:16 am
by KathyW
Nice report. You might miss Skyline, but you're really lucky to be in such a beautiful area. I look forward to my annual week long trip to Colorado each summer to do a little peak bagging.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 am
by tinaballina
very nice...:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm
by rggibbons
Thanks Kathy and Tina! It is pretty here in Colorado. My buddy and I are planning on doing a half marathon in Georgetown in August and hope to do Longs Peak later this summer so hopefully I'll have some more pics :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:49 am
by bluerail
nice to see what your up to Robert, I'm sure theres lots of great trips there, but it would be nice to see you on the trail again. If you make it out this way..be sure to let people know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:15 am
by rggibbons
Thanks so much, Steve! I sure will. It would be great to see everyone on the trail again later this fall...