cucamonga peak from the city

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

cucamonga peak from the city

Postby marmot » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 pm

well, i know that some of you are probably interested in this adventure so let me give you an overview and some advice.
You gain 7000 feet if you climb from the city (2000 ft) to the top (8850 ft) of cucamonga peak via the prominent south ridge. I wouldnt recommend hiking the dirt road through deer canyon, as summit post suggests. The road is nonexistent and involves a lot of bushwacking through the narrow canyon. Its best to follow the prominent ridge that rises from the west side of the canyon if you hike from rancho cucamonga. The ridge requires some bushwacking but not nearly as much as the canyon. Note that there is no trail on the ridge, but there is a faint path. To gain the ridge, start walking into the deer canyon drainage from one of the water towers, and climb the ridge, which starts just west of the drainage and big cement wall. There are markers every thousand feet or so up to 5000 ft (as far as i went). The views are amazing. I recommend this route to anyone who like these big elevation gain adventures.
marmot

Cucamonga Peak from the city

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:53 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics