Page 1 of 1

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:48 am
by Cy Kaicener
13 year old Jordan Romero of Big Bear has summited Everest
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/ ... p?id=19380

http://www.jordanromero.com

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 pm
by Hikoholic
Thanks for the post, Cy... I hadn't heard about this. And I thought I was hot stuff at 13 when I hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls! I was a roadrunner then, but after a few decades am now a tortoise, as you so aptly reminded me last week!! Hope you and everyone have a great hike on the "Full Moon Romp" next weekend...wish I could join you. Maybe in the fall.

Hikoholic Tortoise

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am
by Cy Kaicener
Have you ever wondered how difficult it is to rescue someone near the top of a mountain that helicopters cant reach because of the altitude.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... taineering

http://bonitanorris.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 am
by Lcpl Hughes
I found this while I was looking for maximum elevation for a helicopter..


Mount Everest
On May 14th, 2005, an Ecureuil/AStar AS 350 B3 helicopter operated by Eurocopter was reported to have landed on Mount Everest (29,035 feet). The landing is in dispute. The listed service ceiling of the rotorcraft is between 17 and 18 thousand feet, which is considerably short of the summit altitude.

An unmanned high altitude helicopter is nearing completion. TGR Helicorp in New Zeland has designed the "Alpine Wasp" specifically for rescue evolutions on Everest. The machine's diesel engine will give it an operating ceiling in excess of 30,000 feet.

The CH-47 Chinook twin rotor helicopter is used by the USAF to rescue climbers on Mount Denali (McKinley) in AK. It can reach an altitude in excess of 19000 to land at an elevation of around 18000. The biggest problem at that point is restarting the engines, so a special storage device directs pure oxygen into the engine inlet to restart.

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:12 am
by Cy Kaicener
That was interesting Lcpl. Here is a link that tells one all about it.
http://planetmountain.com/english/News/ ... eyid=37416

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm
by Cy Kaicener
I was amazed to read about 12 year old Matt Moniz climbing everything in sight. Here is his website
http://climb7.com/Blog

http://mattmoniz.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 am
by hvydrt
Looks like another parent trying to use their kids to gain celebrity stats. What 12 year old is concerned about raising awareness for pulmonary arterial hypertension?

Kids should be out having fun with their friends in the summer, not traveling the country to promote their parents agenda and gain corporate sponsors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 am
by Mountaingoat
Agreed and very well said!!

The "Goat"