Page 1 of 2

San Gorgonio - 11.28.09

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:33 pm
by GigaMike
What do you do when a winter storm is coming to socal? You go climb a mountain of course! (as long as you feel comfortable in such conditions).

My buddy Arthur and I climbed San Gorgonio via the Southfork trail on Saturday. We both are very familiar with this mountain and felt we could navigate our way even in the harshest of weather, if needed. Although we were warned that the weather could get ugly, it really never materialized and we only had light wind and snow all day. We left the trailhead just after 6am, hiked up to Mineshaft Saddle and ascended the North ridge (?) and made the summit around 12:30. The temperature on the summit was around 15 degrees and -7 with wind chill. We descended one of the North chutes back down to the trail above Dry Lake and hiked back out. We were both hoping for worse weather, but it was still a great day in the mountains.

Image

Pictures here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 am
by bluerail
Looks like a nice trip mike, bautiful weather, if thats what you like. And great pictures..thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:35 am
by tinaballina
Giga Mike, great pic. Glad to hear you had a good time. that looks like way more snow than on skyline.
Skyline was amazing yesterday as well. Snow from flat rock up.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am
by GigaMike
Thanks Steve and Tina. I'm sorry I missed you guys on Sunday.

San Gorgonio 11/28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:15 pm
by Cy Kaicener
Well done Gigamike.
Wow ~ 15 degrees (edited) on the summit. I bet that you didnt stop for too long and lose body heat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Mike :)

I'm jealous -- sounds like a great trip on old Greyback 8) Fortunately, I was able to play in the white stuff with the gang on Skyline yesterday.

I'm looking forward to more snow so I can break out the snowshoes, cold weather clothing, etc. I think I may even have Tina convinced she should get snow shoes :wink:

Howdy Cy :)

Minus 15 is cold for hikers like you and Mike who have the body fat of bamboo 8) I seem to tolerate cold well.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:41 pm
by zippetydude
Hi Mike. Nice job out there. I saw the postings over on the San G board with dire warnings of impending doom. Hey, it's only snow, I don't know what those weather guys get so frightened about. I'm glad you took the chance to go up. Hopefully this winter we can do a repeat trip up there with a few more hikin' fools. I love to glissade down the north chutes when the snow is deep enough!

z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:57 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Mike :)

I forgot to mention that my favorite photo was the picture of your post in the summit log :wink: I look forward to a snow hike with you and King Arthur in the near future 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:30 pm
by Blooty
Great pix Mike! I really like the one you posted on the post.. that is one of my favorite local hikes. I must get one of those panasonic pocket cameras!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:44 pm
by GigaMike
Thanks everyone!

Cy- It was "only" 15 degrees on the summit, not -15. But it was in the negatives with the wind chill. And yes, we didn't stay long on the summit.

Zip- I usually don't pay much attention to those guy's weather reports anyways. The noaa is good enough for me. We'll have to get a group up there when the snow is deep enough. Your right, the glissading on the North chutes is fantastic!

Ellen- Arthur wanted to add a little something extra in the register. I'm glad you liked it :lol:

Thanks Blooty! Of all the digital cameras I have had, this Panasonic is my favorite. IMO it's the best all around P&S camera on the market.