Page 1 of 1

Map

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm
by lilbitmo
Anyone got Map for the Mesquito Flats, Mount Morgan, Mount Dana, Mount Abbot and Mount Mills Area?

Going to do a day hike next Wednesday up there before heading up to Twin Lakes in Bridgeport on annual fishing trip.

Any trip reports and new trail info "Beta" would be greatly appreciated.

I think Kathy W did this in the spring but I cannot find her post.

Thanks in advance - lilbitmo :D

Re: Map

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:30 pm
by Hikin_Jim
lilbitmo wrote:Anyone got Map for the Mesquito Flats, Mount Morgan, Mount Dana, Mount Abbot and Mount Mills Area?

Going to do a day hike next Wednesday up there before heading up to Twin Lakes in Bridgeport on annual fishing trip.

Any trip reports and new trail info "Beta" would be greatly appreciated.

I think Kathy W did this in the spring but I cannot find her post.

Thanks in advance - lilbitmo :D
??? What kind of map? If you just need the standard USGS topo, you can down load high-res PDF's from http://store.USGS.gov

Or were you wanting something else?

Tom Harrison maps would show the area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:42 pm
by lilbitmo
Hopefully something with the approach trails on it for Dade, Morgan and Abbot, I know the area somewhat but want to leave a nice detailed map with the friend who will be waiting back in Bishop while I'm out doing my thing, he doesn't hike.

Thanks Jim and once again, congrats on the new hiker - that's assume. Cannot wait for my two grandson's to come visit from the midwest when they can go hiking with me :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:58 pm
by Hikin_Jim
lilbitmo wrote:Hopefully something with the approach trails on it for Dade, Morgan and Abbot, I know the area somewhat but want to leave a nice detailed map with the friend who will be waiting back in Bishop while I'm out doing my thing, he doesn't hike.
Check out Tom Harrison's Mono Divide High Country Trail Map. A16, Sport Chalet, and REI carry them. Call ahead first, especially with Sport Chalet. The Mono Divide High Country Trail Map shows the Mosquito Flat Trail Camp (no water according to the map) as well as the general Rock Creek area. Also shown are Dade, Morgan, Abbott, and Mills. I've been in the area multiple times, but I don't know the approaches to those peaks. Were I you, I'd check http://www.SummitPost.org which should have beta on each of those.

Abbot

Mills

Morgan

Dade

lilbitmo wrote:Thanks Jim and once again, congrats on the new hiker - that's assume. Cannot wait for my two grandson's to come visit from the midwest when they can go hiking with me :D
I haven't taken my little Joyce out on the trail yet -- but soon, brother, soon!

Map

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:24 pm
by lilbitmo
I found a nice copy here - http://www.henrichbrunke.de/mountains/topo/mills/ it shows the route that some of the guys on Summit Post have taken, that was what I really wanted, just an idea of the easiest approach, the other part I wanted to know is if I go up past the south west side of Mills Lake, then traverse up to Mills, can I just stay on the ridgeline and go over to Abbot, then Dade and come directly down towards the Treasure Lakes and pick up the "Little Lakes Trial" without too much difficulty.

I sent a message to Kathy W because I'm sure she did something similar to this in the spring but I've searched both San J and San G boards and cannot find that posting, I remember reading it thinking, next time I go fishing that's one of the loops I want to knock out :D

If anyone has done this please send me some Beta so I can cover the most ground with the most direct approaches. I'm also hoping not too much snow hits the ground before I get there Wednesday, watching the weather carefully.

Thanks again in advance.
Lilbitmo :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm
by HikeUp
Kathy's pictures of the area.