camera ready for a "quick draw" when hiking

Posted:
Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 pm
by Rob
I learned my lesson (again) to have my camera ready for a "quick draw" when hiking. Last Saturday, as I paused and leaned in to get a better shot of a rattler stretched across Deer Springs Trail, she sensed me and darted in a flash into brush next to the trail. I squeezed off a shot but (on later examination) found I caught only the last foot of the creature as she vanished into the brush.
Sometimes those rattlers move fast, and sometimes they take their sweet time.
. . . Rob


Posted:
Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm
by Sally
I'm glad she darted into the brush and not at you! Care to share that picture with us so I'll know where to be on the lookout when I go up there next week?

Posted:
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 pm
by Tiger40c
My phone camera was set and ready to go when I came across a rattler a couple weeks ago in the Crafton Hills. However, instead of slinking into the grass, this snake started moving toward me and rattled. I was SOOOOO out of there!


Posted:
Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 am
by zippetydude
Rob, you are so right. I'm always swearing I'll have it ready next time, and then the moment comes and goes in a heartbeat. Cougars, bears, bobcats, bighorn sheep, a helicopter at High Creek sitting on the trail - I either forget my camera at home or don't have it ready when the moment arises. Drives me nuts.
Good job getting the tail!
z