Page 1 of 2

Mt. Whitney Mountaineer's Route

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Laura (aka Moosetracks) very kindly led me up the Mt. Whitney Mountaineer's route yesterday (September 19). I could not have had a more knowledgeable, capable, and entertaining guide. It was breath-taking and arduous. We came back down the regular trail. I'll post a full trip report soon.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:15 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Wow. :shock: Now this is a TR I'd like to read. Knew you were a hiker; didn't know you were into rock. I'll be very interested in your impression of the route, difficulty, exposure, availablility of stone B&B's, etc.

Looking forward to it...

HJ

Trip report

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

I was very lucky to be invited by Laura (aka Moosetracks) to join her and Phil on the Whitney mountaineer's route Saturday, September 19. This was my first time (also Phil's). Laura is a veteran.

I read this information on the route to get an idea of what to expect (it's written by the respected Steve Larson):
http://www.summitpost.org/route/155528/ ... eer-s.html

When I picked up my permit in Lone Pine, Ranger Carol told me that I was in excellent hands -- I think Laura knows just about everyone in the Eastern Sierras 8) I stayed at the Whitney Hostel (next to the Dow Villa) and highly recommend it.

We met at the Portal prior to the crap of dawn and started at 4 AM. Laura's headlamp was amazing -- a few times I mistook her light for Venus :lol: We took the main trail up to the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek (second stream crossing) and turned right up a use trail. The climb was steep and within about 5 minutes I sustained my first blood letting when I got too close to a rock.

We crossed a stream and encountered the Ebersbacher Ledges. Thanks to Laura's excellent direction, we traversed these without difficulty and reached Lower Boyscout Lake just as the sun was rising. We wound around the lake and then up a series of low-angle slabs. They provided great footing and were "slabulicious" (phrase courtesy of Laura). There were some entertaining ducks on the way to Upper Boyscout Lake which brought to mind Hal :wink:

We continued to grind uphill past cinegas in the cliffs on our right until we reached Iceberg Lake. Laura introduced us to lunch rock by the lake and we refueled before heading up the gulley. Laura kept us as close to the rocks as possible for better footing. I felt like a cartoon character in this section -- step up, slip back in the sand, step up, slip back, and repeat about a thousand times. I used to think the 100 switchbacks were hard :? Reaching the famed Notch was a blessed relief.

From the Notch, we headed up the last 400 feet. Throughout the ascent, Laura provided excellent guidance for hand and foot holds as we climbed. She also spotted both Phil and I. At one point, my left arm couldn't sustain my hand hold and I fell backwards. Thankfully, Laura caught me and I wound up nestled on my back in a rocky depression. She checked me out thoroughly before we proceded (I was more embarrased than injured) and we continued to climb. Before long, we could see the cabin on Whitney's summit.

We signed in (I added a little blood to the register page for good measure) and had our second lunch. The temperature was perfect -- light breeze and good visibility. Laura broke out the ritual moose antlers and anesthetic beverage and we celebrated. I toasted Laura for her route finding, entertaining company, rock climbing guidance, and rescue.

Sorry to say, we did have to come down. Fortunately, it was via the main trail. We tried to make it to the Portal Store in time for Doug's famous burgers but he had stopped cooking early that day :cry: We had a late fast food dinner at the Whitney Hostel and sadly said our farewells.

Thank you Laura for an incredible day and for making a dream come true.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Laura's pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 421787734/

Phil's pictures:
http://quandary98.smugmug.com/Hiking/Wh ... 4540_j3vft

Re: Trip report

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:I wound up ... in a rocky depression.
Well, I hope you took some rocky Prozac. :wink:

I'm sure glad photo #54 is included in Phil's pics. I would hardly have recognized you otherwise. No blood, no blonde. :lol:

Great hike; great pics. Congrats.

Mt Whitney Mountaineers Route

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 am
by Cy Kaicener
Ellen - I am glad you met Laura. I could not keep up with her on the trail. She lives in Bishop now and was with Bob Burd on their Sierra Challenge.
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=35182 -- (profile)
She has some great pictures of the High Sierra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:31 am
by magikwalt
Glad to see you hoisting one at the top Ellen. You are an inspiration and your commitment to doing things that are hard is amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:17 am
by MooseTracks
My dear Ellen,

It was a joy to see you again, and to hit the MR with you and Phil this past weekend. You both did great! You'll never cease to amaze me with your strength and endurance. I think you set the bar for toughness, GF! I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself so much. Whitney is such a special place for me, and to share it with both of you made it even more so.

We REALLY must do this more often, dahlink!

I'll let you know when I plan on being down in the SoCal area this winter. I have a few other friends who want to do C2C as well...

Much love and great big Moosie hugs,
Laura

PS: This just about sums it up (life is HARD, baybee!)...

Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 am
by zippetydude
Wow Ellen! MR! Almost makes me want to try it myself...well, almost. I'm going up Saturday with my family to Lone Pine, where Ivette and the critters will fish and play by the pool at the hotel while I go up the MT. I want to hear about the MR in person from you next time we hike - what an adventure!

z

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am
by Ellen
Howdy Jim :)

You ALWAYS make me laugh, thanks 8) Yes, I guess I'd better search for granite Prozac :wink: I would have worn a helmet but my Honda's air conditioning went out on Thursday and that took precidence. Now I need a tooth extracted -- sucker really hurt on the route. Ugh. I'm hemorrhaging more money than blood :lol:

Howdy Stan :)

It was incredible and I'll definately go again. Coming down the main trail was the right choice. Whenever we were climbing and I looked over my shoulder at Iceberg Lake, my stomach had butterflies.

Howdy Walt :)

Wow, thanks 8) Coming from a Marine, those words are a huge compliment.

Howdy Laura :)

Woman, you are my soul sister. My home is open to you at any time. I would be honored to hike Skyline or the full C2C with you and your friends 8) Whitney is a touchstone for my heart -- I am so honored that you guided me on the route. I'll definately come back up to play with you in your backyard.

Miles of smiles and hugs,
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 pm
by Hikin_Jim
How can you tell when it's really Ellen?
Image