Page 1 of 2

WHAT IS THAT!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:07 am
by FIGHT ON
Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 am
by AlanK
It's an exclamation point where a question mark belongs. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:14 am
by tinaballina
AlanK wrote:It's an exclamation point where a question mark belongs. :D


LMAO.

ps..alan, how is the room clean up coming along?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:14 am
by zippetydude
Its proper name is Insectus pseudotarantulus encephalus giganticus. They inhabit rocky areas along trails in hilly and mountainous regions and are most commonly found beneath smooth silica convex surfaces.

z

What is that!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:35 am
by neverwashasbeen
Hard to tell in your picture, but I'd guess a velvet ant (really a wasp).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 am
by AlanK
tinaballina wrote:alan, how is the room clean up coming along?

I worked it into a Baldy trip report.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:20 pm
by Andy
AlanK wrote:It's an exclamation point where a question mark belongs. :D


Now that...is funny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 pm
by FIGHT ON
AlanK wrote:
tinaballina wrote:alan, how is the room clean up coming along?

I worked it into a Baldy trip report.

ya get what ya pay for! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 pm
by FIGHT ON
zippetydude wrote:Its proper name is Insectus pseudotarantulus encephalus giganticus. They inhabit rocky areas along trails in hilly and mountainous regions and are most commonly found beneath smooth silica convex surfaces.

z

I think you meant, Insectus pseudo tarantulus encephalus giganticus.
sounds like that game balderdash. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 pm
by phydeux
Yes, that's a velvet ant, genus Dasymutilla (?) I believe. Its not an ant, but the flightless female of a variety of wasp (the males can fly). It can sting/bite like a wasp. They're common around here and they can be found with a variety of different colored 'coats' I've ssen them in red, orange, yellow, and black. Here's a bettr picture:

Image