Page 1 of 2

Powell Baldy Iron Hat Trick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 am
by FIGHT ON
This would be the easiest and only way I could do it in a day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 am
by hikehigh
Why not x-c down Vincent gulch to prairie fork?

Re: Powell Baldy Iron Hat Trick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 am
by Zé
FIGHT ON wrote:This would be the easiest and only way I could do it in a day.


no way

descend down Pine Mountain Ridge. Straight up east ridge of Baden powell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 am
by FIGHT ON
Ya know, just looking at these three maps makes me wonder.
BP to PF is steeper than BHR. And going down at the beginning or up at the end of this hike seems a lot harder than walking along the PCT to me. (don't forget how hard BHR was! :lol: Going up or down the Pine Mountain Ridge sounds great so maybe instead of that east ridge, go down the 3.8 miles to Vincent Gap and then to Prairie Fork from there instead. If you google earth around just to the south of that ridge you can see how steep the angles are. Pretty crazy if you ask me. up or down, it's gonna kill ya.
MBP is 9399 Praire Fork 4505 = 4894 EAST RIDGE MBP
Pine is 9648 PF 4505 =5143 PINE MOUNTAIN RIDGE
BHR 3989 WB 9989 =6000 BIG HORN RIDGE
I wanna do that Pine Mt. Ridge bad. I think I'm gonna park at the north backbone pct trailhead, ride a bike to dawson saddle. hope hickup doesn't steal it and hike to bp and down vg to prairie fork, up pmr to pine and back to my car. just to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:31 pm
by Zé
i'm sure it's steep, but at that point, gotta cut down the miles. and cut down the time.

thats why I would go Iron - Baldy - BadenPowell though, avoid descending a lot of really steep stuff.

would be 15000' gain.

I'd seriously consider it if someone would help arrange a car shuttle and pick me up at vincent gap or drop my car off there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:44 pm
by FIGHT ON
Zé wrote:i'm sure it's steep, but at that point, gotta cut down the miles. and cut down the time.

thats why I would go Iron - Baldy - BadenPowell though, avoid descending a lot of really steep stuff.

would be 15000' gain.

I'd seriously consider it if someone would help arrange a car shuttle and pick me up at vincent gap or drop my car off there.

The shuttle is the smallest problem.
I'd hate to be on that east ridge in the dark. Especially if it's the first time I'd been on it. I think it's steeper than you think! Better become familiar with it and the iron traverse separately as part of shorter hikes first. Sounds crazy dude. Check it out first.
Looks like there's a trail that crosses the east ridge, big horn mine trail might be a way to go. I like the Pine Ridge but I don't like where you end up. way down there. I still think going to the PCT from Pine Mt. would be fastest. That section along the Blue Ridge is pretty flat and smooth over to inspiration point. Like a freeway! You can really move on it. and then you could just walk along the ach to vg. fast dude! I think you would reach vincent gap before you got to that big horn trail half way up that ridge. Then you'd be on a trail! nice smooth trail with only three point eight miles to go up to the top! And Hey! you know who didn't go on that ridge. gee I wonder why?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
by Zé
maybe. your way adds 7 miles, but cuts off 2000 ft gain. your way would be easier but might take a bit longer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm
by FIGHT ON
Zé wrote:maybe. your way adds 7 miles, but cuts off 2000 ft gain. your way would be easier but might take a bit longer.
by the time you get to pine your legs are gonna be jelly.
I figure it's about 17 miles to mbp from Pine via the pct. and you can take off about a mile if you take the ach from inspiration point.
Moving on a trail and the road w/o anything in the way of your feet is gonna be worth it. I'm tellin ya dude. once you get your feet on the pct, you take a good long inhale through your nostrils and you can actually smell the barn! From right there! How do you figure how many miles it is down the pine ridge and up to the summit via that stupid steep ridge in the dark dangerous fall down in the middle of the night and die anyways? Looks like about 12 miles to me. 12 miles at 2mph? is 6 hours. you don't think you could do 16 miles in 6 hours on a flat smooth surface? including the last 3.8 and the first 1.5! It's close but I think you live to hike another day the pct way!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm
by marmot
Ive done vincent gap to pine mtn via the pine mtn ridge, pretty sick.

we actually started pretty early and saw sheep up there. followed mtn lion tracks to top. lots of bushes to wack through towards end good luck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 am
by FIGHT ON
marmot wrote:Ive done vincent gap to pine mtn via the pine mtn ridge, pretty sick.

we actually started pretty early and saw sheep up there. followed mtn lion tracks to top. lots of bushes to wack through towards end good luck

Ah ha! lots of bushes eh? -2mph... pct wins! BIG TIME! :D