Self sign in at Mill Creek?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Self sign in at Mill Creek?

Postby halhiker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Do you have to go in the Mill Creek Ranger Station to get a permit or do they have a self sign in like @ Idyllwild?
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Self Permit

Postby lilbitmo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:09 am

They prefer you to fax one in, but I have seen them out front on rare occassions, or mail one in "way in advance".

You can find the "Fill in the blanks" PDF online permit here http://www.sgwa.org/Permit_Dayhike.pdf
Instructions are with it.

You can see information about rules on the Permit here http://www.sgwa.org/permit.htm

You can get information on the San Bernardino's from the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association here http://www.sgwa.org/index.htm

I've had great luck with filling out permit request on Monday's (even though they are closed on Monday's) and faxing them in to get them back by Wednesday. Remember, Vivian and Momyer are closed until they figure out what they will do with the "Baby Bear" that has been roaming the parking lot, riverbed and picnic area on that side of the mountain, so everyone is using the other trials and there is a "Quota System" in place for the San Gorgonio wilderness so you might not get a permit for the trial you want. Call them the day after you apply and ask what the chances are.

Good Luck.
:D
User avatar
lilbitmo
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby KathyW » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 am

Instructions for obtaining a permit in advance in the San Gorgonio Wilderness:

http://sgwa.org/permit.htm

You can also stop by the Mill Creek Ranger Station and pick one up on your way to your hike if the quota for the trail is not full. If they are not open, they have self-serve permits outside for the trails that are not full, so on many days you will not be able to get a self-serve permit for the popular trails. If you have your heart set on a certain trail, it is best to get the permit in advance.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby halhiker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks. I've always had a permit arranged ahead of time in the past but I'll drive over this morning and see what I can do.

Of course, I'm slow moving in the AM so it looks like I'll get there after the station's open anyway so it won't matter.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:00 am

halhiker wrote:Of course, I'm slow moving in the AM so it looks like I'll get there after the station's open anyway so it won't matter.

I got an idea! if you nail no trespassing signs to the inside faces of all the perimeter doors in your house, that would speed you up!
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

Re: Self Permit

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 am

lilbitmo wrote:Vivian and Momyer are closed until they figure out what they will do with the "Baby Bear"
Really? Momyer too? Are you sure? I thought only Vivian was closed.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Momyer

Postby lilbitmo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

Just going by what they said over the phone when they called to rescind the Permit I already had, things change daily so I would call to confirm.

If Momyer is open it would be good to know, would like to get up there since I was forced away two weeks ago?

Thanks HJ :D
User avatar
lilbitmo
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby KathyW » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

I think Momyer is open.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby Rumpled » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Maybe that bear problem will be solved soon.
Archery season opens 8-15.
User avatar
Rumpled
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 am

Postby halhiker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Momyer is open. They had permits for it outside.

I ended up doing the Dry Lake/Dollar Lake loop. I got a late start and the Station was open. They are doing road work on Hwy. 38 and are running pilot vehicles back and forth so there are some delays. Of course, if you go on the weekend this shouldn't be a problem.

The Ranger said they are getting close to a resolution to the bear thing but are waiting on Fish and Game. She said they just want to open the trailhead and deal with the picnic area later. She said a lot of people are complaining they can't use the trail.

Anyway, I put some pictures on my blog. The typical San G stuff.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests