Page 1 of 1

Hanakapiai Falls

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:15 am
by Zé
not even in CA, but still a great one! Trip Report

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm
by halhiker
VERY nice. I have a good buddy who lives in Kauai and I'm hoping to get there this year to do some hiking. Of course, my wife and both my kids want to go, too, so that makes it tougher.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm
by Zé
i think there's a bunch of nice beginner / moderate trails. this hike for example would be moderate but definitely doable as long as they take there time. I would highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:06 pm
by zippetydude
Zé: You're killin' me man with this post. I was in Kauai a couple of years ago, and never managed to get time to do any trails. I did get to Kipu falls, which is only about 20' high, and jumped off a few times. Crazy fun. My daughters, then 9 and 13, did it also, which amazed me. At 9, there is no way I would have done that! Anyway, beautiful shots, glad you had the chance to do the trail.

And, one of the best things about Hawaii - No Snakes! None. In the whole chain of islands. That's so nice, you're not having to watch everywhere you step, etc. I'd love to live there.

Hal: There's a relatively short trail that leads up to the "Rainiest spot on Earth" that I had hoped to do but never found the chance. If you happen to do that trail, I hope you'll take some pics and post 'em! Hope you get to take the whole family - you might look into Kipu falls (just a short drive from the main port) if you like that sort of adventure.

z

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:12 am
by Marknhj
zippetydude wrote:Zé: You're killin' me man with this post. I was in Kauai a couple of years ago, and never managed to get time to do any trails. I did get to Kipu falls, which is only about 20' high, and jumped off a few times. Crazy fun. z


I jumped off Kipu Falls too, in 2006. I remember it because the second time I swung off the rope I decided to try for a flight of pure grace and beauty - a perfect parabola, with my body arched, legs straight, and feet pointed as they broke the surface of the the water. So I swung with all my might, let go as late as possible, then realized, "uh oh". I'd forgotten my legs would keep going up. I entered the water flat on my back from a height of 20'.....hurt like hell and I could hear my friends laughing as I was flying through the air :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 am
by zippetydude
Yeah, I found that it was difficult to predict my angle of entry too (in other words, I wiped out a couple of times myself!). Did you jump off the falls too?

z

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:17 am
by Zé
zip: just check it out next time you go! it's worth it. i would like to do more hikes in the area next time i go, only had time for this one.