Page 1 of 2

Mt. Wilson Toll Road Repair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 am
by FIGHT ON
Mt. Wilson Toll Road repair.
I think it's neat the way they just stack the unmixed concrete bags up. Eventually the rain hardens them.
Image
Rebar Graduation Day!
Image
It's a proud ceremony!
Image
spooky!
Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:37 pm
by NewbieZach
That really is something the way the do that.... I always wondered why the concrete looked so wierd on some retaining walls. They have some walls that look like that on the little hill in my town they call Mt Rubidoux :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:58 pm
by FIGHT ON
That spot is a creepy place to work too! On the uphill or other side of the road the side of the hill is steep as well! and it's all loose stuff. Big boulders and rocks.
One little eq and tons would come down right on you. A hard had wouldn't help.

Retaining Wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm
by lilbitmo
More than likely they are using the bags of "Powdered" cemet to form "Forms" instead of wasting wood. They can mix and pour contrete directly behing the formation that they make and pull away the bags later. Two reasons, the bags stack nicely and evenly, second they are very heavy which keeps them from moving so they get a "Semi-decent" support when they pour the other contrete behind the bags.

Mason's used to do the same thing when they were in a hurry and planned on putting "Bricks" in front of the walls (which were for support) and the bricks covered up the unfinished looking wall behing the "Face of the Wall".

Best I can tell, just an ex-mason's opinion? :D

Re: Retaining Wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:21 pm
by FIGHT ON
lilbitmo wrote:More than likely they are using the bags of "Powdered" cemet to form "Forms" instead of wasting wood. They can mix and pour contrete directly behing the formation that they make and pull away the bags later. Two reasons, the bags stack nicely and evenly, second they are very heavy which keeps them from moving so they get a "Semi-decent" support when they pour the other contrete behind the bags.

Mason's used to do the same thing when they were in a hurry and planned on putting "Bricks" in front of the walls (which were for support) and the bricks covered up the unfinished looking wall behing the "Face of the Wall".

Best I can tell, just an ex-mason's opinion? :D


Interesting, I doubt they plan to remove the bags of concrete though.
Can you imagine hauling ALL them back up? :lol:
I mean they are only the 60lb ones but still, there are a lot of em and some of em are waaaay down there dude!

I think they cost about a buck each and with all that handling I bet most of the bags get torn and start to leak. Not worth the time. Just leave em there! Maybe take the paper off after it rains. But who is gonna see it from where? Too far away.

I've seen these type walls around the San Gabriel Trails in a few locations.

What's cool is if you look at the last pic it looks like they started to blow out in a few spots near the bottom.
Probably poured the concrete too fast! You know you gotta let it set up before you stack too much more on top.
I wonder if they brought a truck or brought a mixer or just mixed in a wheel barrow? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 pm
by lilbitmo
Bags of cement, they will open up the ones that are up there and mix them on the next move up the hill or next repair area, they will not leave them.

Think about what you are saying have you ever seen a completed project where they left those for more than a six month period?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:23 pm
by FIGHT ON
lilbitmo wrote:Bags of cement, they will open up the ones that are up there and mix them on the next move up the hill or next repair area, they will not leave them.

Think about what you are saying have you ever seen a completed project where they left those for more than a six month period?


I've seen burlap sacks used and concrete bags like these used.
Still there. I will take a pic next time I see one.

Never seen one where they use the bags as forms and move them to the next project though.

Once concrete is poured against those dry bags one of two things are likely to happen.

When the concrete is poured against the bags they get wet. The paper loses its strength and the bag just rips apart when you try to move it. That's if you try to move it before the concrete dries.
And if you wait till the concrete dries then the paper gets stuck to the concrete and rips when you move it.
Unless they treat the bag or put plastic between.

Looks like they used two rows of bags so maybe they could reuse the outer ones, but I doubt they do. Come on mo, what if it rained? You know that if they planned to reuse them they would have at least draped some plastic.

I bet they leave em.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 am
by bluerail
...you guys are gonna continue this right ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:19 am
by FIGHT ON
bluerail wrote:...you guys are gonna continue this right ?

did you clean your sensor yet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:45 am
by bluerail
Should get the kit today. wish me luck. last time i took my sunglasses off to clean them i ended up stepping on them. :?