Page 1 of 1

glacier pt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am
by kane
how is the trail from the valley that goes to glacier pt? Can you make that hike into a 2 day trip? I just got back from my yosemite trip and saw the sign that said glacier pt 8 miles while on the john muir trail. I continued on to vernal falls before heading back, to pack up camp and head home.

Badger Pass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 am
by lilbitmo
You can usually get out to Glacier Point from Badger Pass on Cross Country Skis or Snow Shoes. Last February I did it with a friend and spent the night at the "Hut" that is out there. You no longer have to do guided trips out to the point, you can book online at http://www.yosemitepark.com/BadgerPass_ ... icing.aspx they will rent you skis or snow shoes. I broke a ski coming off of one of the "Domes" and the stewart of the hut let me use another one to get back but I ended up hiking out the 5 miles as it was a sunny day and I perfer hiking.

Good luck and enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:57 am
by kane
actually I just did some research and when the glacier road opens up all the way you can purchase a one way bus ticket and hike down to the valley. I might try that next trip. I was expecting a little more snow on the sequoia trees route as I brought my snowshoes. Didn't need them at all. Was snow but not enough to need them. First trip to yosemite and already I want to go back.

Yosemite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 pm
by lilbitmo
John Muir had it right when he said there's no place like it on Earth :D

Glad you had a good time. Hope you get back there soon.

The road to Glacier Point opens when enough snow melts to allow the big Snow Trucks to push it out of the way without making it a problem for regular cars to pull out and not be blocking the road. It's different every year, typically that's late May, early June.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 pm
by scottmac
You can access GP from the valley via either "4-mile trail" or "JM trail" (turn right at Nevada falls to GP via Illouette falls) about 9 miles. There is also the very dangerous (and little known) "ledge trail", straight up from Curry Village. I do not know the current snow conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am
by kane
here's is a little blog and some pics.

http://themacncheese.blogspot.com/2009/ ... scape.html