Page 1 of 1

San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek trail 3/15/09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:36 am
by Norris
I dayhiked San G via Vivian Creek trail. Left the trailhead at 6:30 am and got back about 11.5 hours later. Conditions were exellent, no snowshoes required, no postholing. Icy snow on the road at the trailhead, then dirt on the switchbacks up to Vivian Creek camp. Snow started again at Vivian Creek camp. I wore crampons from here. A few dirt patches on the trail, not many. Pretty distinct boot tracks to follow for most of the trail, but definitely areas where you had to look for the route. Icy, hard snow on some fairly steep slopes mean crampons are required and ice axe recommended, although I made do with trekking poles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24753178@N08/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am
by zippetydude
Thanks for the TR Norris. Great pics, and I appreciate the first hand input on the ice. I had been hoping it was soft enough to make a trip up this weekend just using snowshoes. Glad to find out in advance what conditions really are.

z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 am
by NormaR
congrats Norris! great job! i was on Ontario Peak sunday and looked over at San G. and here i thought someone was using a reflecting mirror... i think i saw the sparkle of your teeth from that smile on the summit!
:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 am
by Norris
zippetydude wrote:Thanks for the TR Norris. Great pics, and I appreciate the first hand input on the ice. I had been hoping it was soft enough to make a trip up this weekend just using snowshoes. Glad to find out in advance what conditions really are.
z

You could do the trip with snowshoes, the two guys in one of my photos were using them. But it is easy to suddenly find yourself in a sketchy situation where crampons would be preferable. And I expect that the longer we go without snow, the more conditions will favor crampons over snowshoes. To tell you the truth, there was a moment or two where I wished I had an axe with me, rather than just trekking poles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 am
by Norris
NormaR wrote:congrats Norris! great job! i was on Ontario Peak sunday and looked over at San G. and here i thought someone was using a reflecting mirror... i think i saw the sparkle of your teeth from that smile on the summit!
:D

Thanks Norma! I can't believe your appetite for climbing. Baldy Friday night, was it? Then Ontario Peak on Sunday?
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:46 am
by KathyW
Norris: Thanks for the report - 11.5 hours sounds about right for this time of year. I know I've taken as long as 12 hours to do the hike up Vivian to San Gorgonio and back down when there's snow out there and many times I've quit before I got to the summit.

Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am
by Norris
KathyW wrote:Norris: Thanks for the report - 11.5 hours sounds about right for this time of year. I know I've taken as long as 12 hours to do the hike up Vivian to San Gorgonio and back down when there's snow out there and many times I've quit before I got to the summit.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy! Yes, I've tried to do it before in the snow in 1 day and not made it, but right now the snow is so consolidated that it is really feasible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 am
by Norris
Re permits: I forgot to mention that I self-issued a permit to myself at the ranger station. There has been some discussion on various boards as to whether there are or are not self-issue permits available for Vivian Creek. When I showed up at 5:50 am, there were 3 left. I'm not sure how many they set out. I'm not sure what the daily winter quota is, and how this process would fit with that, because there can be 1 climber or a dozen on a given permit. I was tempted to pocket a blank for use on another occasion, but I didn't. :D