Page 1 of 1

Olancha Pass snowshoe trip report

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm
by jspeigl
Last weekend, I and a friend backpacked up the Sage Flat trail to Olancha pass in the Southern Sierra Nevada. Unlike most trails in Southern California, we didn't see a single other person. There were some snowshoe tracks for the first mile up the trail, but after those, we didn't see any tracks left by other humans. So for those looking for wilderness solitude, this would be a good bet. Here are some pictures:

The cattle drive trail up to Olancha pass
Image

Animal tracks were the only tracks on the trail
Image

My friend approaching Olancha pass
Image

Olancha Pass
Image

Sunrise
Image

Whitney and Langley
Image

Olancha Peak
Image

Animal tracks
Image

Animal tracks close up. Momma and cub?
Image

Monache Meadows
Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:07 pm
by hikehigh
Nice! Did you camp at the wrangler camp? What were the snow depths beyond the pass?

Olancha Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm
by lilbitmo
Great Trip Report, that sunrise picture is exactly why I go out, you cannot get that kind of beauty from your couch or your remote.

Thanks for sharing.

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm
by jspeigl
I camped in the trees just north of the middle of summit meadows. I didn't measure the snow depths, but I suppose they were somewhere around 3-4 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm
by EnFuego
Nice TR. Thanks for posting. Beautiful pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm
by tomcat_rc
thanks for the report - I love hiking in this area.
How was the snow bank conditions on the final gain to the summit - looks like just enough snow on the rocks to make for poor footing but not enough snow to use the snow shoes?
Your photos were great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:47 pm
by jspeigl
tomcat,

We only got close enough to view the peak from where the picture was taken. However, on an off-trail jaunt towards Olancha pass, we ran into a tallus area that was exactly how you described. There was just enough snow to cover and hide the tallus, but not enough to fully support our snowshoes. The result was very slow progress. At one point we covered about 1/4 mile in about 2 hours.

I figured that going for the peak could have taken 5 - 6 hours extra (even though it was only about 1.5 miles, 1500 feet more). Also there was a forcasted storm coming in that never really materialized. At a leisurely pace back down the mountain, we made the trailhead at 4:00 P.M. I have no regrets not going for the peak, though in hindsight we probably could have made it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:33 am
by KathyW
J: Thanks so much for sharing your pictures - they are beautiful.