Comeradery on Old Greyback

Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 am
by Cy Kaicener
Thanks for posting David. That was a remarkable effort without snow shoes.
I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits
The pictures were great. I am glad that they had the sense to turn around so close to the peak.
Re: Comeradery on Old Greyback

Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 am
by FIGHT ON
Cy Kaicener wrote:I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits
Rangers, Permits? Who cares and who needs permits these days? Besides being inconvenient to obtain (you actually have to get permission BEFORE you set foot in the sgwa) they add so much extra weight! And being irresponsible adds to the adventure!

Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm
by zippetydude
Good TR! Once the snow consolidates then yes, you can definitely do it in a day. I find it takes me about 1 1/2 times as long (round trip) compared to how long it takes on a clear trail in the summer, but it feels like 10 times as much work!
I know what you mean about not making the peak being sorta frustrating, but that's the snow causing that, not something you can control. In the summer, when I set out for the peak, I usually end up on the peak. In the winter, a little less than 1/2 the time do I actually find myself up on top. More than likely, I'll run out of time, or run into icy conditions that I can't cross, or end up postholing in powder even with snowshoes...so I end up heading back with pics and memories but no peak. I'm glad you guys had a great time anyway.
z
Re: Camaraderie on Old Greyback

Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm
by AlanK
FIGHT ON wrote:Rangers, Permits? Who cares and who needs permits these days? Besides being inconvenient to obtain (you actually have to get permission BEFORE you set foot in the sgwa) they add so much extra weight! And being irresponsible adds to the adventure!
Where in the report did anyone say anything about hiking without permits?

Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:38 pm
by zippetydude
See Cy's post. I had to think a minute myself.
z

Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:10 pm
by AlanK
zippetydude wrote:See Cy's post. I had to think a minute myself.
Cy commented that he bet there were no rangers checking permits. I have hiked many times, in many places, with a permit in my possession but no ranger around to check it. I saw nothing in this thread suggesting that the hikers went up without permits. Not that the lack of provocation should stand in the way of a sarcastic outburst!

Comeraderie on Old Greyback

Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:54 am
by Cy Kaicener
I didnt think anyone else would be on the trail in those conditions. That was meant as a joke guys

Sorry to open up a can of worms

Re: Comeraderie on Old Greyback

Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am
by AlanK
Gorgonio via Vivian Creek

Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm
by Blooty
I was up there on 2/1, via Vivian Creek Trail. It was a beautiful day, though at times, I wished I had crampons...

much steeper going up with no switchbacks!