http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/about1115.html
Cy Kaicener wrote:There are some very graphic pictures of Taco Del Rio's accident in the Lightning Couloir (San Gabriel Mountains) Ouch![]()
http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/about1115.html
FIGHT ON wrote:......Can't imagine it just hitting his arm in the air.
EnFuego wrote:FIGHT ON wrote:......Can't imagine it just hitting his arm in the air.
Yeah - the rock hit his hand in the air. His arm wasn't against anything else. His arm is ok. Just nasty gash, with lots of blood. Nothing broken or torn.
it's over. Maybe the blood made it appear worse than it was. How large was the rock. Like shape and weight etc? I would have saved it!
EnFuego wrote:Fight On -
No, I didn't see it happen first hand. I was about 100 feet below him. He was free climbing the route that another person and I were climbing with rope. After Ryan got hit, and was lowered down to my belay, I got the story first hand. Ryan said that he had just placed both his axes I was about to lift himself up when he was hit by a rock that looked to be about twice the size of a softball. So his arm was in a rigid postion, holding his body weight and when the rock hit, there was nowhere for the arm to flex to, so it absorbed the full blow.
And yes, wearing glasses or goggles is a very good idea as there was a lot of small pebbles and spindrift raining down. Glasses or goggles would have not helped though getting hit in the face with a rock that size.
Thank God he wasn't dislodged.EnFuego wrote:He was free climbing the route
Return to Outdoors-Related Topics
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests