Mt. Baldy Run to the Top

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baldy run to top

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Here are the unofficial results of the race
http://www.run2top.com/2008.lasso

Perry came in 10th in 77 minutes
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:32 pm

I studied Spanish and finally became fluent. I like learning, so I took Portuguese for fun as well. It has a nice sound to it - I especially like the Brazilian dialect.

Here's a tidbit for you. If you've ever seen the UFC stuff then you have probably heard of Royce Gracie. In Portuguese, an "r" as the initial consonant is similar to the English "h", only a little rougher. That's why they call him "Hoyce".

So how is it you understood?

z
zippetydude

Postby » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:51 pm

I learned on my own then stayed in Brasil for 3 months, but I picked it up pretty quickly. I don't use it as much now but if I had 6 more months in Brasil I would be close to fluent. All I do now is listen to MPB and talk with some friends de vez em quando.

Jim, "no fal ben Portugues" is close, but a little off! :) 'Não falo bem português' é melhor!

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 am

Zé wrote:I learned on my own then stayed in Brasil for 3 months, but I picked it up pretty quickly. I don't use it as much now but if I had 6 more months in Brasil I would be close to fluent. All I do now is listen to MPB and talk with some friends de vez em quando.

Jim, "no fal ben Portugues" is close, but a little off! :) 'Não falo bem português' é melhor!
Thanks, Zé. I haven't been to Brazil since 2001, and I only spent a couple of weeks there. Yes, of course it's "Não" not "no" and "bem" not "ben." Obviously, I'm a little rusty. :D

What little Portuguese I had I picked up in conjunction with a very short term mission I participated in via my church to Londrina, Parana. We helped run a soup kitchen. Neat people, neat language, and a neat country. Not so neat poverty. :(
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:05 pm

yeah the poverty is definitely there. at least its pretty visible though to people, constantly reminding them of others fortunes.

Postby tinaballina » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm

sorry i missed out on this, it looks like you all had fun.
tinaballina

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics