Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am

Fine work Jim. well, Its starting off to be a good week right? :lol:
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Congratulations HJ :D

I'm especially happy that you found it after getting chewed up by the brush. Non-productive bushwhacking is particularly annoying.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Bloody Blonde Hiking
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Myth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Wow - that picture of it by your foot as you found it is telling! Glad you tracked it down. What a story - both as a cautionary tale and an amazing one.
Myth
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Andy wrote:Fine work Jim. well, Its starting off to be a good week right?
Fine work? Dunno about that, but I am a stubborn old cuss. :lol: I guess it wouldn't have been the end of the world to have replaced my DL, credit cards, etc., but my wife was travelling overseas. Cancelling the credit cards would mean she'd be overseas with no means of purchasing things. :shock:

I have to say that I prayed hard on this one. I guess it worked although I have no idea how to integrate the spiritual side of life with the corporeal. You tell me.

My GPS unit worked like a champ. I had it in my hand through the light brush and would just follow it's twistings and turnings. It lead me to the correct drainage...into the heavy brush. And down I went. I was overjoyed when I saw it.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm

Myth wrote:Wow - that picture of it by your foot as you found it is telling! Glad you tracked it down. What a story - both as a cautionary tale and an amazing one.
Yeah, now I need to go look for Bill Ewasko while I'm on a roll. ;)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Rck » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Glad you found it HJ. Who says praying does not help!

Rick
Rck
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby arocknoid » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Jim, that brush is so thick and ornery-looking, I'm surprised you didn't lose more of your hide, as well as the wallet.

Please avoid endeavors which would emulate the blood-letting of Ellen.

Thumbs up on the wallet recovery. GPS was handy, but so was the invisible guiding hand.
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Odd thing of it, many women pay good money to get a skin scrub. Such foolishness. The brush of Sitton Peak is far more effective -- and free. Of course, it could use a little refinement, but that's just a matter of details. I mean you're bound to get a few scratches on the road to cutting edge skin treatments, right? Exfoliate! Exfoliate!

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby backpackpack » Tue May 19, 2015 9:40 am

I am happy you found your ultralight wallet! I was surprised to see you were hiking through those bushes, and it made me wonder if you were doing that purely for fun or did you have some purpose? I never thought of trying to hike through brush like that, so I am curious. I do often look off trails and think "This is what the first settlers walked through when they came here"
User avatar
backpackpack
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Lost Wallet, Sitton Peak

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 19, 2015 11:19 am

backpackpack wrote:I am happy you found your ultralight wallet! I was surprised to see you were hiking through those bushes, and it made me wonder if you were doing that purely for fun or did you have some purpose? I never thought of trying to hike through brush like that, so I am curious. I do often look off trails and think "This is what the first settlers walked through when they came here"
The trail to Sitton Peak goes straight up the fairly steep east side of Sitton Peak whereas there's a nice ridge to the south that trends gradually downwards. I was looking for a way through the brush that would be easier to descend than the trail. Didn't find one to say the least. :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests