Recommendations for Hiking Boots

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm

I, too, use Merrell Moab Ventilators for Skyline. Love 'em!

I have a pair of Montrail Torre GTX that I use for crampons, snowshoes, and backpacking. They are a little heavier than I'd like, but are very comfortable and versatile.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Sally wrote:I, too, use Merrell Moab Ventilators for Skyline. Love 'em!

I have a pair of Montrail Torre GTX that I use for crampons, snowshoes, and backpacking. They are a little heavier than I'd like, but are very comfortable and versatile.
Well, on the strength of the recommendations here, I picked up a pair of Ventilators this evening. Hopefully they'll work for my skinny feet.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby mattytreks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Sally wrote:I, too, use Merrell Moab Ventilators for Skyline. Love 'em!

I have a pair of Montrail Torre GTX that I use for crampons, snowshoes, and backpacking. They are a little heavier than I'd like, but are very comfortable and versatile.
Well, on the strength of the recommendations here, I picked up a pair of Ventilators this evening. Hopefully they'll work for my skinny feet.

HJ


Hikin_Jim- did you go with the Low top Ventilators, or the Mids?
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:18 am

ohiker wrote:Hikin_Jim- did you go with the Low top Ventilators, or the Mids?
I went with the low tops. The mids looked nice, but for really heavy duty XC, I'll probably stick with my heavier Lowa Trekkers. For on trail stuff, the low tops should be good. I've done a lot of hiking with running shoes or low top hikers. They work well, and that light weight really helps you fly.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby nobohobo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 am

"custom made"made in the U.S. of A.
"stock boot" made in barvaria
http://www.limmercustomboot.com/index.php?id=9
User avatar
nobohobo
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 am
Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Postby mattytreks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi All-
So I picked up some new boots yesterday at REI. They are such a new product that REI didn't have them in regular stock (nor are they listed on their website) so I had to call REI Direct Sales last week and have them delivered to the store. They're called 'Lowa Renegade LL Mids', although REI seems to call them 'Lowa Renegade II Mids'. I really wanted a leather boot and this more than fits the bill. Unlike the GTX version of the Renegade, this version has a very supple and soft leather lining -- thus the "LL" acronym above.

Initial Impressions:
Along with the "Orange" Superfeet I bought, this is the most comfortable, perfectly fitting shoe I have ever worn, and would highly recommend them for certain niches like ultra-long dayhikes, a weekend backpacking trip, or cold-weather hiking. Although they are not Gore-Tex, when treated with the water-proofing cream that Lowa offers, you can get them very water-resistant I’m sure. Definitely not for long-haul backpacking or those wanting to set C2C speed records, but they are surprisingly light for such a sturdy, well-constructed boot.

Image

Shoe profile:
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3108450925&Category=3&Type=M

REI placeholder page once the shoe is more widely available:
http://www.rei.com/product/812224

By the way Hikin_Jim, while I was in REI I tried on the Moab Ventilator Lows...they a fantastic warm-weather hiking shoe -- very lightweight and comfortable as well!
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Hmm. Cool looking boots. At 2.4 pounds, they're pretty light for a leather boot. My trekkers have the glove leather lining, and it's really nice. I might check these out if my Trekkers finally bite the dust.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby mattytreks » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:51 am

Also FYI, for those who prefer the darker Brown version of this boot (see link above), Adventure 16 has them in stock -- REI carries the light Brown 8)
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

ohiker wrote:Also FYI, for those who prefer the darker Brown version of this boot (see link above), Adventure 16 has them in stock -- REI carries the light Brown 8)
A little Sno Seal will take care of that light brown. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Sally wrote:I, too, use Merrell Moab Ventilators for Skyline. Love 'em!

I have a pair of Montrail Torre GTX that I use for crampons, snowshoes, and backpacking. They are a little heavier than I'd like, but are very comfortable and versatile.
Well, on the strength of the recommendations here, I picked up a pair of Ventilators this evening. Hopefully they'll work for my skinny feet.

HJ
I picked up a pair of Moab Ventilators a couple of weeks ago. Top marks. Light, comfortable, not a lot of crap getting in them. Surprisingly, my feet are pretty clean afterwards when I've worn them. I've only worn them a few times so far, but I'm really liking them.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests