Hike in the Grand Canyon

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Hike in the Grand Canyon

Postby Florian » Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Hiked the Bright Angel, Phantom Ranch, South Kaibab loop at the Grand Canyon on Friday, 5/2. Really good hike with pretty much ideal conditions. I've been to Grand Canyon a couple of times but never actually hiked to the river before. I would liked to have spent more time at the river but forecast was for 90 degrees at Phantom Ranch and i was worried about temps getting too warm on the climb out so didn't dally. Completed the hike in 7 hours 52 minutes total time. 17.6 miles, 40.2k steps, 2 tired feet.

Flickr photo album .. https://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/set ... 4538374904

Short YouTube video .. http://youtu.be/ymRvwndReEU

Garmin track .. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/491665492

My son, Kai, came with me and we spent 2 nights (Thurs and Fri) at Maswik Lodge. Kai wasn't up for the full hike so he just did a shorter hike on his own.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby drndr » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am

The Grand Canyon is beautiful from the bottom looking up.

What time of day were you at Phantom Ranch and what temps did you end up dealing with? We are doing a S. Rim to N. Rim day hike end of May and the heat is a factor I'm keeping my eye on.

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Riverside

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 am

Some nice shots there Florian. I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I've never been down in the canyon. Seems like a place I'd want to go and explore over a few days, staying down in the canyon itself and taking day-trips out to see what I can find. I'm amazed at that shot where the path goes through a tunnel, I wouldn't have thought they would do blasting just for a walkway. I saw that pic of your trusty bike. Did you get some good riding in while you were out there?

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Florian » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

drndr: I started down the Bright Angel trail at 5:30a, arrived Phanton Ranch at 9:15a, was heading back up South Kaibab trail at 9:50a, and reached the rim at 1:15p. I don't know the actual temps but the forecasted high at the river was 90°. I was comfortable hiking out but glad it wasn't any later in the day.

zippetydude: I rode out to Hermit's Rest and back the day we arrived plus some loops around the campground and visitor center. The road to Hermit's Rest is nice as it's closed to private vehicles. My son also used the bike and did the same ride the day i was hiking the canyon.

I did enjoy the hike although the trail is constructed with a constant series of log "water bars" every few feet. Makes it hard to maintain a consistent hiking rhythm and pace. I assume the bars are to prevent erosion caused mostly by the mule trains.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Re: Hike in the Grand Canyon

Postby HH8 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Florian wrote:Hiked the Bright Angel, Phantom Ranch, South Kaibab loop at the Grand Canyon


People come from all over the world, because the impression of its vastness is mind-boggling. Hiking it is another experience, that I would recommend everyone try once.

I still had red dust from the Tonto layer in my boots, many hikes later.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/14095361316/in/set-72157644538374904[/img]
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby tekewin » Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Very cool pictures. Thanks for posting. The GC is something special.

I am planning south rim to north rim in late June, so the beta is timely.
User avatar
tekewin
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: United States

Postby Florian » Wed May 07, 2014 6:28 pm

tekewin wrote:I am planning south rim to north rim in late June, so the beta is timely.

I'll be at the north rim 6/20 and 6/21. Maybe i'll see you.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby tekewin » Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Florian,

Very possible! June 21 is my hike date, so I should roll up the north rim early evening. Best guess 6 pm. I plan on having to walk the extra miles to the north lodge since I think the shuttles stop at 4 pm.

I'll have the same yellow camelbak as seen in my profile pic. It would be cool to see you there. :)
User avatar
tekewin
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: United States

Postby Ulysses » Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures Florian. Makes me want to go back. I don't think I could ever tire of visiting the Grand Canyon. Looks like you stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge. How was that?
Ulysses
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Idyllwild

Postby tekewin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:56 am

Finished my day hike on 6/21/14. Bright Angel -> North Kaibab -> North Rim Lodge. 25.7 miles, 12 hours. Here are my favorite photos:

Image
Elk on south rim (day before the hike)

Image
Looking up at south rim at sunrise

Image
Deer below Indian Garden

Image
Devil's Corkscrew

Image
Heading upstream along the Colorado River

Image
Crossing the silver bridge

Image
Phantom Ranch store, we got there 4 minutes before they opened at 8 AM

Image
Heading up The Box

Image
Hillers Butte and Clement Powell Butte (I think)

Image
Ribbon Falls

Image
Collared lizard

Image
Starting the climb out past Cottonwood Camp

Image
Horsing around in a dry wash

Image
Looking up at the north rim

Image
Coconino Overlook

Image
North Kaibab trailhead, still 1.8 miles to get to North Rim Lodge

Image
Bison on the north rim (day after the hike)

Full novella trip report:
http://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2014/06/g ... im-to.html
Last edited by tekewin on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tekewin
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: United States

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests