Recommendations for Hiking Boots

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Recommendations for Hiking Boots

Postby mattytreks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 am

Greetings all- I'm looking for a comfy/quality new mid hiking boot for 10-25 mile day hikes (C2C-type terrain), and am giving serious consideration to these Lowa Renegade II GTX's, but have read a few reviews saying the sole is relatively thin/soft and that rough or rocky terrain can be felt through the boot more than desired/normal:
http://www.rei.com/product/789686

Has anyone had experiences with these or any other Lowa boots and can speak to this issue? I'd also love to hear your personal recommendations on any of REI's other offerings (or elsewhere from REI in that case):
http://www.rei.com/category/4501275

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Hiking boot recommendations

Postby wb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Matthew,

If you're hiking in the west coast area, I recommend staying away from gortex footware and buy something that breathes well. For mids, the best "boot" I've found is the Merrell Moab Ventilator. This shoe has an adequate toe box, comfortable scree collar, heavy duty eyes and hooks, attached (non-floating) tongue stitched nearly up to the collar and vibram quality sole. It is very comfortable and surprisingly light weight.

Hope that helps. YMMV.
wb
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:41 am
Location: Orange, CA

Postby bluerail » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:14 am

In good weather I wear the moab ventilator shoe, and am on my 9th or so pair. I love the comfort. the soles are a little soft and if carrying a lot of weight, I would go with a heavier vibram, however for stuff like a c2c or similar hike...theyre perfect.
User avatar
bluerail
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am
Location: La Quinta

Postby kyledickerson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 am

I have a pair of Lowa Renegade II GTX boots. They're really good boots if you'll be in the type of terrain that requires them (off-trail, snowy, wet conditions). Lowa's also last a long time. I had a pair of Lowa Rangers before the Renegades and they lasted about 2 years.

However, if you're just doing desert and 3-season hiking/backpacking, a pair of trail runners will suit you just fine. I highly recommend the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra's. The Renegades are just too hot and heavy.

Footwear is an individual preference as no two feet are exactly the same. I take most advice with a grain of salt.
kyledickerson
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby skunkboy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 am

Ohiker,

I have a pair of Montrail Hardrock mids that are the most comfortable shoe/boot that I have ever worn. They are perfect for local hikes when no snow is involved and backpacking with very light loads. That said, they are wearing out very quickly and Montrail doesn't even sell them any more. They now sell a boot called the Sabino, which looks very similar to the Hardrocks.

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?pr ... =120&top=1

Hope this helps.

Since we're on the subject of boots... what does everyone wear when using snowshoes or crampons? I am looking for a replacement for my dinosaur glacier boots that weigh 7 pounds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Skunk
User avatar
skunkboy
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Yucca Valley

Postby neverwashasbeen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

@Skunkboy, for snowshoes I wear Sorrels and for crampons I wear plastic Kolflachs.
Happy Trails!
User avatar
neverwashasbeen
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 am
Location: Palm Springs

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I bought a pair of Lowa Trekkers in 2007. I have narrow feet, and Lowa is one of the few brands that offer narrow sizes. I've put a lot of mile on 'em. Trail day hikes, XC, backpacking, you name it, but not a whole lot of snow. They're a little heavy, depending on what you're used to, but I like 'em. Flexible enough that I have a good sense of what I'm walking on but enough protection that I can do off trail stuff with no problem. They keep my feet really clean without gaiters on off trail stuff. I've taken them on several multi-day backpacks, and they've done really well both in the Sierra and in the Rockies. Pretty grippy on rock. Good creek crossing boots: I can feel the rock, but by feet stay dry if I step in a few inches of water. They're coming to the end of their useful life now, but I've gotten almost four years out of 'em which is OK for non-Norwegian welt boots.

I bought a pair of Salomon (XD Pro I think) trail runners a year or so ago. Personally, I'd stay away from their specialized cord lock lacing system. Mine shredded after a while, and my local REI doesn't carry replacements. The REI website says they're back ordered. I've got a nice pair of shoes -- but without laces -- so I'm effectively out of luck.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby mattytreks » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions so far, everyone!

It sounds like it may be worthwhile to invest in two footwear:
*a Merrell Moab Ventilator-type shoe for hot summer months
*and a sturdier Lowa boot for off-trail or colder/wintry weather escapades

Right now I'm still using my Merrell Chameleon XCR's, bought in -- kid you not -- 2004! One thing I can say is that they sure have lasted a long time!!!

It's gonna be hard to throw them away. They've seen Whitney, Yosemite, San Diego, and most everything in between...
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby lilbitmo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:09 pm

I've been a long time Merrill fan but recently got a pair for my birthday of Invo-8 RocLite 288GTX - by far the lightest boots I've ever come across, they are amazingly comfortable and are made of Goretex and can handle getting wet.

They weight just 5 ouces each.

Web Page here
User avatar
lilbitmo
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby skunkboy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

ohiker said:
It sounds like it may be worthwhile to invest in two footwear:
*a Merrell Moab Ventilator-type shoe for hot summer months
*and a sturdier Lowa boot for off-trail or colder/wintry weather escapades



Matthew, it sounds like that's the best way to go. Going cross country in the Sierra high country these last two summers have shredded my Hardrocks to the point that I went and bought some Shoe Goo to try and extend their life for a little while longer. From looking at your list: http://www.rei.com/category/4501275 , my question is; what would be a good, lightweight mid level boot if say I got a wild hair, and wanted to take a run at SC later on this spring? I also think Merrell makes a good boot. Maybe a Col or a Phaser Peak? I just don't know, but I think a trip to REI or the Sports Chalet just might be in my future.

Pat
User avatar
skunkboy
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Yucca Valley

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests