02-07-09 Camaraderie on Old Greyback (a narrative)

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

02-07-09 Camaraderie on Old Greyback (a narrative)

Postby EnFuego » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

If you're not living on the edge,
you're taking up too much room!
User avatar
EnFuego
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 am
Location: Seal Beach, Ca

Comeradery on Old Greyback

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 am

Thanks for posting David. That was a remarkable effort without snow shoes.
I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits :)
The pictures were great. I am glad that they had the sense to turn around so close to the peak.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Re: Comeradery on Old Greyback

Postby FIGHT ON » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits :)

Rangers, Permits? Who cares and who needs permits these days? Besides being inconvenient to obtain (you actually have to get permission BEFORE you set foot in the sgwa) they add so much extra weight! And being irresponsible adds to the adventure!
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

Postby zippetydude » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Good TR! Once the snow consolidates then yes, you can definitely do it in a day. I find it takes me about 1 1/2 times as long (round trip) compared to how long it takes on a clear trail in the summer, but it feels like 10 times as much work!

I know what you mean about not making the peak being sorta frustrating, but that's the snow causing that, not something you can control. In the summer, when I set out for the peak, I usually end up on the peak. In the winter, a little less than 1/2 the time do I actually find myself up on top. More than likely, I'll run out of time, or run into icy conditions that I can't cross, or end up postholing in powder even with snowshoes...so I end up heading back with pics and memories but no peak. I'm glad you guys had a great time anyway.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Camaraderie on Old Greyback

Postby AlanK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:Rangers, Permits? Who cares and who needs permits these days? Besides being inconvenient to obtain (you actually have to get permission BEFORE you set foot in the sgwa) they add so much extra weight! And being irresponsible adds to the adventure!

Where in the report did anyone say anything about hiking without permits?
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby zippetydude » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:38 pm

See Cy's post. I had to think a minute myself.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby AlanK » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:10 pm

zippetydude wrote:See Cy's post. I had to think a minute myself.

Cy commented that he bet there were no rangers checking permits. I have hiked many times, in many places, with a permit in my possession but no ranger around to check it. I saw nothing in this thread suggesting that the hikers went up without permits. Not that the lack of provocation should stand in the way of a sarcastic outburst! :D
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Comeraderie on Old Greyback

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:54 am

I didnt think anyone else would be on the trail in those conditions. That was meant as a joke guys :) Sorry to open up a can of worms :oops:
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Re: Comeraderie on Old Greyback

Postby AlanK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:I didnt think anyone else would be on the trail in those conditions. That was meant as a joke guys :) Sorry to open up a can of worms :oops:

It seemed like a joke to me. And there's nothing wrong with a little joke once in a while!! :D :D :D
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Gorgonio via Vivian Creek

Postby Blooty » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm

I was up there on 2/1, via Vivian Creek Trail. It was a beautiful day, though at times, I wished I had crampons... :? much steeper going up with no switchbacks!
No man can climb out beyond the limitations of his own character.
-- John Morley
User avatar
Blooty
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests