Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:27 pm

So, I'm thinking about hiking to Sugarloaf Mtn this coming Saturday. What's open on Hwy 38? Can I park at Onyx Summit? Wildhorse trailhead on Hwy 38? On the north side of the mountain, is Wildhorse Road open? (and is Wildhorse Road passable to a standard sedan?) See map for locations.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 pm

I went up the day they opened the 38 and there was no limitation to access north of the 38. It was actually kinda odd in that from the 38 you could see there was zero damage directly visible except for that way back on the higher elevations. Nothing near the highway had any damage at all. Wildhorse and Sugarloaf were completely open for business. By the time you go up they may even have Jenks Lake Loop open. When I went up there was no significant traffic and the news story has all but disappeared so it'll probably re-open soon. If so, I'd love to hear some good news about how the wilderness actually fared!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:32 pm

And no parking restrictions posted along Hwy 38? I'm considering parking at the old Wildhorse trailhead and going straight up the drainage to the ridge and then cutting west along the ridge to Green Mtn and Sugarloaf Mtn. If I feel ambitious, I may try for the Sugarcube too (the little peak to the west of the Sugarloaf).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:46 pm

I actually parked at the Wildhorse trailhead and went along the trail a bit. I had thought about going up quite a way but it was very smokey and seemed like it was too soon to hike it enjoyably. If it was open a week ago Saturday, I'd bet it's totally open now. And it felt good to see that part of the mountains was untouched. Have fun. If you wanna drop by my work in Redlands on your way and borrow my super zoom for pics from Wildhorse, you're more than welcome to it. Actually, if you're passing by during business hours we could maybe grab some lunch together. LMK.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:27 am

At this point, I'd be heading up early Saturday morning and coming back late Saturday afternoon/evening. I'm not known to be a particularly fast hiker. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Hwy 38 - What's Open?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 am

Well, scratch that -- for now. Some friends of mine are going backpacking over by Mt. Wilson, and they've invited me along.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests