Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby greatshaitan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Mt. Langley - 14,026ft

Work brought me to Bishop for a few days and I figured, why not try another 14K mountain while I was up here. I chose Mt. Langley. After working Wed-Friday I drove to Horseshoe Meadows Friday evening and spent the night in my car. It was a cold night and I woke at 6:00 to find ice on the inside of every window. After some food and gearing up I was on the trail at 6:20, temperature was 25°F. One group had left before me at about 5:30. The hike was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky…. Until I hit (Old) Army Pass.

Image
Cottonwood Lakes! Beautiful!
Image

Heading up Old Army Pass
Image

The weather forecast when I last checked Friday morning was 20% chance of a light dusting of snow >12,000ft and I made sure to pack extra warm clothes just in case this mild event happened. As I hit the top of Army Pass more clouds started rolling through and you could see fresh snow on the mountains to the west. At about 12,500ft Langley was now covered in clouds but other than the cold (~15° F) the weather was quite nice.

Image

I finally made it to the back side of the mountain and begin following the 7’ high cairns. At 11:30 I made it to 13,500ft and the weather takes a turn for the worse. Within about 10 minutes, it went from flurries to snowing and <50ft visibility. The wind picked up and temps dropped. I kept ascending till 13,840 at which point in time I was 0.3miles from the summit. Any sense of the trail was now covered in snow and the cairns were no longer visible unless you were very close to them and the weather was just getting worse. My nose was numb and extremities were cold past the point where I felt comfortable. “You win this round Langley, but I will be back” I thought as I reluctantly turned tail and started hiking back down the mountain.

Ascending into the clouds
Image

This
Image

Turned into this
Image

Turned into this
Image


I turned my GPS into “Backtrack” mode so I could follow the trail I made to get back down the mountain. This was literally a life saver as there was no trail and the cairns were extremely difficult to find. As you head back down the mountain the trail makes a sharp left turn south. As I search for the cairns I saw a very lost looking gentleman down the mountain past the turn off. We made voice contact and he came up to me. He is lost and doesn’t know the way off the mountain. No map, no compass, no GPS. We made our introductions and I highly suggested to Richard to stay with me and I will lead us out.

The rocks were icy but we slowly got off the main section of the mountain and down to about 13,000ft. At which point we both heard yelling. Visibility was still very poor and we were able to just make out a figure about 200ft down a drainage heading west down the side of the mountain. He seems lost, trying to find the trail. We are able to verbally communicate that he needs to come back up to us. The clouds rolled in and we lost sight of him. We continue our descent and after about 10 minutes we heard more shouting.

We saw the same figure down a different drainage again heading down the wrong side of the mountain. This time we called him back up to us; his name is Donny. Donny didn’t have a map, compass or GPS and is looking for his missing climbing partner “Johnny the Rastafarian”. Apparently Donny stopped to put on a layer and go to the bathroom but The Rastaman kept powering down the mountain and left his partner behind. Donny joined our band of merry men and I led the way towards Army Pass. I was still utilizing the backtrack function from the GPS as the trail and visibility were obliterated by the weather.

Myself, Richard and Donny
Image

We made the 2 miles back to Army Pass and found many other hikers in the general vicinity. Both Donny and Richard found their climbing partners and turns out The Rastaman had already descended the pass. We say our cheerful goodbyes and they express their gratitude for me leading them back, got to love the GPS! Going down Army Pass was a slow and careful endeavor as the trail was icy but eventually I was safely back to Cottonwood Lakes area. Through it all, the snow would just not let up…

View down Army Pass
Image

It was still dumping pretty good, once again making the trail difficult to follow. I realized at one point that I was off trail and used my indispensable GPS to get my bearings back on course. At this point I heard a “Hello! Sir?” I turned and saw two gals and a dude far off trail. They explained that they were lost and wanted to know if I knew where the trail was. Looks like I get more hiking partners! We formed our troop and finished the last 7 mile trek back to the trailhead.

My buddy left his hat in my car after one of our trips, I utilized it well this trip!
Image

It never stopped snowing on us the entire way back to the car. We arrived at 4:45pm with a temperature of 22°F. Total mileage was recorded at 20.7miles, not bad for a day of hiking. We said our goodbyes and they invited me for a beer. Normally this sounds great, but I had a 5 hour drive ahead of me and decided to just hit the road. I got back home at 10pm to a hot shower, a warm bed and a beautiful wife.

The lesson learned from this trip, never go on a hike without your 10 essentials!!! I had my Map/Compass in case I needed them but the GPS was the MVP of this trip. Even though the other climbers I hooked up with had proper clothing, food and water, they didn’t have the navigational tools needed when the weather turned bad. I was not as prepared for the weather as I should have been as I chose to travel light but I listened to the brain that gave me 12 reasons to turn back, and only one to continue on. Don’t worry Langley, I will be back.

View from Lone Pine
Image

Many more pictures can be found on my website
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images/adventures/langley/index.html
Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
http://www.rmru.org/
User avatar
greatshaitan
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby neverwashasbeen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Great TR, thanks for sharing.
Happy Trails!
User avatar
neverwashasbeen
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 am
Location: Palm Springs

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby scotts » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 am

Your discretion near the summit left you in position to guide fellow hikers through some difficulty.

Accolades to GS!

Thanks for the TR.
scotts
scotts
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby Sally » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. Nice TR and pics! You and your GPS may have literally been lifesavers. Sorry you didn't make it to the top, but you are alive to try again some day...great job!

Ellen and I had the pleasure of experiencing the storm on Sunday. It sounds like it was much more brutal on Langley on Saturday than Whitney was on Sunday.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby SteveC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Good report, good pictures! I am sure the other hikers were sure happy to meet you.

What brand/model gps were you using? Would you recommend it to others, and why?
SteveC
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:59 am

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby greatshaitan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:42 am

SteveC wrote:What brand/model gps were you using? Would you recommend it to others, and why?


I am currently using the Garmin Oregon 600. This is my 4th GPS since my first Meridian gold back in 2001 when precise GPS signals where made for the public.

Before purchasing this unit I reviewed many online reviews. I am a fan of OutdoorGearlab.com.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Handheld- ... Oregon-600

Also amazon was having a sale $300.00 so I jumped on it. Its a great GPS, easy to install maps, easy to use most features. Screen works with my gloves. It was on my chest for 10 hours, 5 hours in the snow and performed like a champ. Easily 10 hours on a pair of AA rechargeable batteries. I also like how easy it is to customize.

I used to be a big Geocacher but haven't gone out much.
Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
http://www.rmru.org/
User avatar
greatshaitan
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby Ellen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Holy Cow GreatShaitan :o

I think you definitely saved lives that day :D What an epic hike --IMO helping other folks beats summiting. Thank goodness for the GPS and your backcountry skills. Once again, RMRU saves the day :)

Sally and I kept watching the weather forecast for our Whitney trip -- it went from a 20% chance of snow to a 40% chance by Saturday morning. Indie Jack and Richard hiked up to Lone Pine on Saturday and said it snowed on them on the way down. Definitely my coldest and most difficult Whitney. Unlike Langley, we had a trail to follow. I've heard that Old Army Pass can be treacherous without snow and you did it with snow -- wow!

As I've written many times, I love your smile. My favorite picture is of you solo with the snow covered cowboy hat :lol:

I can see it now, "Hey pilgrim," (says the GreatShaitan) "You need to circle your wagon and join us!"

With Admiration,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Winter is here on Mt. Langley

Postby towbradley » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:20 am

every time I drive through bishop, I'm always wondering how beautiful it must be from the surrounding mountain tops. It's too bad you weren't able to accomplish your goal, but what an amazing story your able to tell and what an impression you must have made with all those people you assisted with getting back down safely(and also the importance of being prepared). Great report, great photo's......and Shat's...the most amazing turkey club sandwich I've ever had in my life.......along with a loaf of bacon cheese bread to go. Thanks for sharing your trip.
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests