Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:54 pm

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Re: Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby Sally » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 am

That story sounds like a classic case of "HWS" (hiking while stupid) :roll:
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby physicslord » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 pm

So the guy with "no cartilage in his knees" decided to hike Half Dome. Yep sounds like a good plan to me.

Having done that hike I can say you won't be needing knees on that one. :shock:
physicslord
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Re: Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby zippetydude » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:09 pm

I just did the Mist Trail/Panorama/Four Mile trail a couple of days ago, and each time I do it I run into tons of good people who never suspected the stairs would be anywhere near that hard. They remind me of the stairs of Cirith Ungol. I can see how a guy would expect to make Half Dome and then find the stairs shattering his joints every step AFTER he has climbed and descended Half Dome! Poor fella, he made a good run of it. God bless YOSAR.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:51 am

Good morning all! Zippitydude, you ALWAYS have a positive outlook on every situation, and give the poor guy in question the benefit of the doubt! I will take this attitude with me today and hopefully when someone (including myself) does something dumb I will cut them some slack!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Two Rescues on Half Dome in one day

Postby zippetydude » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi Sally! Thank you for your kind words. The truth is, I am so fallible that I have a hard time finding anyone with more faults than me. : ) And I was being serious about those stairs. While we've all done enough crazy stuff to more or less take them in stride, picture for a newbie hiker who is in great shape or an experienced hiker who has never seen such madness...it's a shock. I met a lady from Britain who was coming back down. "The way up is hard, but coming back down is terrifying!" was her description. Having gone both up and down the stairs, I think anyone would say that sticking to the up direction and coming out by way of Tuolumne or 4 mile trail is a better choice. Wild adventure to be had at every turn - that's what makes the wilderness so unpredictable and fun!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests