Old Woman Mtn, "Willow Spring Peak," Amboy Crater

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Old Woman Mtn, "Willow Spring Peak," Amboy Crater

Postby eric1234 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:17 pm

three peaks in the Mojave desert
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... -peak.html

Mt. San Jacinto seen from 100 miles away
Image
eric1234
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 pm

I like that photo, Eric. It's interesting to me how much "mountain" lies to the east of the summit of San Gorgonio Mountain. Terra Incognita.

Very interesting terrain and area overall on your route(s). Thanks for the map at the end; that really ties things together.

I notice in your peak register that you ask "where's the benchmark?" Maybe that remark was just having fun, but most peaks don't have any marker on them and indeed were never visited by surveyors. A spot height next to an "X" is typically determined by photogrammatic means and is never visited. Unless there's a triangulation point, vertical control point, benchmark, or something like that marked on the map, there won't normally be any marker when you visit a peak.

Speaking of the map for that area, I notice something just south of there marked as an "Old Woman Statue". I wonder if that's the namesake formation of the range.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Florian » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Eric, that's a great shot! I like trains and sometimes camp, on purpose, near the tracks towards the right side of your image.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 4 guests