SB Peak snow conditions above 9k'?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Sally » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Beautiful pictures, Jill! Thanks!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Jill G » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Image
Jill G
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:57 pm

OK, that's pretty cool.

Now, where am I going this weekend? :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Here would be good

Postby Jill G » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 am

Image
Pyramid Peak Desert Divide
Jill G
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

@Sally- question about the xctry Sb route

Postby Jill G » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:55 pm

@Sally: I found this trip report for a xctry snow route to SB Peak you did last April.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic. ... rdino+peak

Is that route discernible on the map above or can you describe it? We're planning to go up the north ridge.
Jill G
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Postby zippetydude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:06 pm

For what it's worth, I've been up almost the exact route that he went, and I can't recall if it was because of brush or not, but I stayed down in the drainage for most of the way as well. If you're hoping for snow travel then there will probably be much more snow in the ravine than there will be out on the ridge. I don't know if it will be consolidated enough for that to make travel fun - could be it's still cold and loosely packed. BTW, It was a good xc route and I prefer it to the trail. Once I even ran into Ellen, who had come the same way, up on top a couple years back.

Beautiful frosty pics!
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Sally » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Jill, I believe we pretty much followed the route that was on the ridge shown on the map rather than the ravine. I'm not all that great at describing routes. Ellen can probably explain it better. The way it works with Ellen and me is like this: Ellen plows ahead and miraculously finds fantastic x-country routes while I try to keep up with her. I usually don't have a clue what we're doing. If we get screwed up I pull out my GPS and then I figure out where we are.

Ellen and I have done the x-country route up to SB peak many times, usually sticking to the ridge on the way up, and using a combo of the ridge and ravine to get back down. There is usually some brush or rocks to get mired in.

Thanks for the link to that old TR. It brings back memories of a great day!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Pics from Sally

Postby Jill G » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 pm

@Sally: I found a link to your pics of the route.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... 8647986594
I was hoping for similar snow conditions but that seems unlikely. We'll try the ridge up and see how it goes.

@Zippety: TY
Jill G
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests