Baldy in the Clouds

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baldy in the Clouds

Postby Ellen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 am

Howdy All :)

Headed up Register Ridge to Baldy and down Ski Hut trail with Marilyn yesterday. It was below freezing in Manker when we started around 7 AM. The predicted high for Baldy was also below freezing.

There was little snow, but it was very icy -- thank goodness for microspikes and hiking poles. Also glad it wasn't too windy.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby towbradley » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Aaaaaawsome pictures.....bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr on the weather . :shock:
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Postby Sally » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Nice! Looks like the Great Smokey Mountains, Southern California style.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Nice stuff. So... Why always Manker? I'd have figured you'd sometimes go from the village. That's a very Ellenesque hike.

And as I've mentioned, the northern route is worthwhile, but not for those squeamish about heights.

Image

Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Howdy HJ

I want to do that route, though my intestines clench at the photo. Don't want it named "Falling girl ridge" in my honor :shock:

We went our usual route because Marilyn had just had the stomach flu and I was (and am) battling a cold.

At least the clouds gave us cool views.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Ellen wrote:We went our usual route because Marilyn had just had the stomach flu and I was (and am) battling a cold.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't feeling well so I "just" did Baldy. Right after doing Skyline. :shock: And what do you do when you're feeling well!?

Ellen wrote:I want to do that route, though my intestines clench at the photo. Don't want it named "Falling girl ridge" in my honor :shock:
Yeah, it's a bit dicey. Not a spot where you'd want to go over the side.
Image

If memeory serves me well, Robinson in his Trails of the Angeles book, calls the north approach the "real Devil's backbone". I concur.

Going up is easier, but getting a shuttle from Manker Flats back to Wrightwood would be a bit of a trick. There's a trail marked on the map as the "Dawson Peak Trail", but no one has used that trail in a long time as evidenced by this tree -- growing directly on the trail.
Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests