Defenders of the San Gorgonio Wilderness Map

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Defenders of the San Gorgonio Wilderness Map

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

I referred to this map in a post elsewhere. I thought it worth a post:
Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Neat stuff Jim. What are the gray/hashed areas on the map? They almost look like snow field areas.
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby arocknoid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Those are Pleistoccene glacial fields.

*vintage* snow fields.

Thanks for posting the map imiju, Jim.
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Sally » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 pm

I think Ellen has a copy of this map. Is it the one with all the cross-country routes on it? (I can barely read the lettering on my screen, but I think I see the routes.)

Very cool, HJ!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Vintage. I like it. must be around the area of one of Jim's posts on "Glacial Chop" ...or something. Very cool indeed.
Andy
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Andy, Indeed, the hashed areas are where glaciers carved their way down the mountain in the Pleistocene age. What they left behind below Big Draw (all that rubble and weird topography) is what I call the Glacial Chop Country of the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Sally, If Ellen's map is printed on green paper, then, yes, it's the same map.


It's really a gem of a map, loaded with a lot of information. It's a true labor of love done by someone with far more familiarity with the SGW than I will probably ever have.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests