trip report 6.3.2012

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 pm

CrazyLegs wrote:The ravine that I took down to the jumpooff was pretty brushy. Luckily, there was a network of loose dirt and skree slopes that I could use to avoid the brush, but there were times where I had no choice but fight through it. All in all, I ended up doing a lot of zig-zagging, at least until I got down the first 1000ft.
Cool.

Interesting route to take. Quite a bit different than going up from Mill Creek.

And...
...where is that sign located in the photo above? Is that on the main trail or is that down in the camping area?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby gonehigher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02 pm

The sign is on the main trail which you can see to the right in the picture.
gonehigher
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm

kinda figured. I had heard that a sign had been put in, but I hadn't seen it myself. Used to be the only sign was high on a tree and faced east. There wasn't a sign facing west.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Zé » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

awesome job! Yucaipa ridge between Galena and Lil San G is very brutal. I think you were right to stay on the south side for the most part. That seemed better to me when I traversed it. Plus, the north side is,uh, exposed a bit!
Zé
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Re: trip report 6.3.2012

Postby CrazyLegs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:44 am

Hey HH8,

Yours is my favorite response to the report. Wanna go on another ambitious hike on 8/25?

Evan




HH8 wrote:Excellent Evan.

CrazyLegs wrote:I suffered, toiled, cursed, perspired, gasped, hunched, and burned my way to the top (13:55).

Who needs the perfect snack when you can blast upward on vituperation?

CrazyLegs wrote:When I crumpled on the top of Little San Gorgonio (16:47) and started fumbling for the log book, I chuckled at the excessive bagging. Negative moments are often exposed as melodramatic when a simple observation solicits a light-hearted emotion.

Yeah.

CrazyLegs wrote: She told me how confused she was by what I had spent the day doing (being that it was both optional and agonizing)

She need not understand, so long as she accepts it. It might be nice to have her along too, but your levels are so far apart it that trying it could ruin more than the one hike. There are other ways she can participate, like helping with planning or playing with pictures afterward. Enjoy your bride.

Thanks for a very entertaining TR, and a new goal to stretch some bored horizons.
CrazyLegs
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Orange, CT

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests