Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Stove of the Week: Optimus Nova

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 pm

The Optimus Nova is a crummy piece of junk -- or is it? The answer: It depends. Buy the right version, and you might get a really good deal on a high quality expedition class stove. Buy the wrong one, and you might just go hungry.
Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

I like this one

Postby halhiker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm into keeping it simple.

http://zenstoves.net/BasicSideBurner.htm
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:34 pm

An alcohol stove like that is a great stove for one, possibly two people (if you don't mind the slower rate of cooking), but for groups or for snow melting, it's a little slow. Every stove has it's application.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby momphrare » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Leaning towards simple I've always like Skurka's Cat food Can.

http://www.andrewskurka.com/advice/tech ... tstove.php

He does mention yours on there as well.
User avatar
momphrare
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I've experimented with the Skurka cat can. It works OK, but it has a pretty wide flame pattern. With my 0.75L Snow Peak pot, I found the flames largely went up the side (in other words the heat was largely wasted). I found that a top jet (rather than a side burner like the Skurka) gave me a narrower flame pattern and worked better with a small pot.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby halhiker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:An alcohol stove like that is a great stove for one, possibly two people (if you don't mind the slower rate of cooking), but for groups or for snow melting, it's a little slow. Every stove has it's application.

HJ


I also have a Dragonfly, a Svea, a Bluet, Rapidfire, Trangia and a few other I forget plus a couple Coleman stoves. Lately, though I've just been doing short solo adventures so big boy stoves stay home.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Makes sense to me.

The Svea 123 is a favorite of mine. I take it out a lot still, for solo or 2 to 3 people.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests