Uploading Excel files containing coordinates to Garmin GPS

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Uploading Excel files containing coordinates to Garmin GPS

Postby mattytreks » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 pm

So, I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx device and along with that came the Garmin MapSource software.

Using the handy ACME Mapper online, I've put together a Microsoft XLS/CSV file with a list of about 100 SanJ points of interest. Each row contains coordinates in the following formats:

--N33 49 31.1 W116 33 1.9
--33.82530, -116.55052
--33 49 31.1; 33 1.9 -116.55052

So my questions are: is there a way I can "import" this Excel file into MapSource and subsequently load this data as Waypoints into my GPS device? If so, how? And do the Excel columns need to be in a certain order and/or have specific column header names?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
Click here to see my hikes, along with trail details
User avatar
mattytreks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby HikeUp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Dunno how to do what you want but this site might be useful...
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
HikeUp
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Googling "csv files to gpx files" included the link below. Looks like it's doable with a program called POIEdit.


http://www.ehow.com/how_5850414_convert-csv-gpx.html
User avatar
Kevin
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Postby hvydrt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Try GPS Babel. I use it all the time to convert between various formats. Works great. I think csv is one of the format options.
hvydrt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: yes


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests