Bowling on Baldy with Kathy Wing

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Bowling on Baldy with Kathy Wing

Postby Ellen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Howdy All :)

Short trip report as I'm headed back up San J tomorrow to tramshoe 8)

For those who think that I live under a rock on the tram road and only climb San Jacinto ... :wink:

I had a wonderful time with Aaron (organized the trip), Kathy Wing and the rest of the gang today. This was my fourth ascent of the Baldy Bowl (crampons, helmet, ice-axe) and the first time that conditions were good for glissading down. I may not glissade fast but it sure beats walking :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby zippetydude » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 am

Pics? I'm with you, glissading (did you ever notice that "slidin' ass" is hidden in the word 'glissading' between the g's?...well, we're missin' an s, but it's still closer than it should be by random chance) is way more fun, even than plunge steps. In fact, I've never had a bad time glissading, whereas I've had a few plunge steps that went awry (last weekend, my snowshoe caught on a submerged branch, and I did a sloooooowwww face plant in front of 3 young people who were polite enough not to laugh, but it was actually really funny. At least glissading one knows the risk they're undertaking.

Anyway, I've never done Baldy in the snow (just the run to the top), so pics would be great!

Mebbe see you tomorrow if I can break away early. If not, have fun!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby KathyW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 am

It was a beautiful day on Baldy yesterday, and it was so nice to get to climb with you Ellen. I did take a picture of Ellen glissading down, but it didn't turn out because my camera lens was all wet from being in my side pocket during my glissade. Darn.

There are pictures posted over at: http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and-Peakbaggers/photos/1291535/

You have to be a member to see them, but it's easy to join and easy to leave if you choose.[/list]
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby Ellen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 am

Howdy Kathy :)

It was wonderful to climb with you -- thanks again 8) I think your camera started laughing when you tried to snap a photo of my glissade :lol:

Howdy All :)

Don't believe Kathy when she says she's "slow." She was ahead of all of us, which is why she captured such great photos of the climb.

Howdy Z :)

Love your re-arrangement of "glissade" to show the real meaning :wink:
I highly recommend going up the Baldy bowl while conditions are still good. You hike up the ski hut trail to the hut, then gear up (crampons, ice-axe, helmet) to go up the bowl. I bet you could talk the other greyhounds into a trip.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Lcpl Hughes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Glad you had fun :D

I am really itching to use my crampons, but the road up to Manker Flats crushed my clutch in my truck about a month and a half ago and cost me $1000 to get repaired..so, I am a little shy of Baldy right now..
Lcpl Hughes
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am
Location: Lost in never ever land


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests