Painted canyon transportation problem

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Painted canyon transportation problem

Postby 93ludegirl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey, if anyone from palm springs is going to go hiking in painted canyon sometime, can we maybe work-out a ride-share deal? (I'll pay for fuel or something...) Because I cant take my car down a 4 mile dirt road. --Ok, thats all Thanx :D
User avatar
93ludegirl
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: palm springs

What?

Postby halhiker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 pm

You're a hiking person and you can't take your car down a four mile dirt road?

You need a new car.

P.S. I've driven my wife's mini van up that road no problem. And besides, with the mileage you put in you should have no difficulty hiking the extra 8 miles. With the ladder canyon loop that'd only be 13 miles.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Florian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:21 am

The CV meetup group is heading out that way on Sunday ..
http://www.meetup.com/Hiking-Coachella- ... /16394285/

Also, as Hal said, the road should be okay for a regular passenger car.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby 93ludegirl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 am

@ Halhiker- ok, I didnt know there was a parking area at the start of the dirt road. Cool.

and technically, my car can totally make it, but with the racing suspension and custom exhaust, it sits pretty low (less than 4in of clearance) and its recently repainted so id rather not mess that up. Basically, i WONT take her on dirt roads, not I CANT.

I do need a second car though that i dont care about, like some beat-down pik-up or something :D
User avatar
93ludegirl
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: palm springs

Postby halhiker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm

There's not really a "parking area" at the start of the road. There's just the side of the road.

I used to have an '68 GMC pickup that was a great hiking mobile. Now, with a Jeep I can get just about anywhere. What I need is an every day car.

But I'll let you know if I go out that way. With the mini van I usually have a few open seats but I have to warn you that I'm usually hauling kids or noobs with me when I go out there.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Kathryn61 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:46 pm

I wish I would have read this sooner! I was just hiking in Painted Canyon on Sunday. I drove my Honda minivan down that dirt road with no problems at all. It's amazing in there and I'd like to go back. Here are some photos of Ladder/Painted Canyon and the Grottos.

http://www.meetup.com/Hiking-Coachella- ... s/1274350/
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake."
User avatar
Kathryn61
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: La Quinta CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests