Treasure Lakes / Sierras

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Treasure Lakes / Sierras

Postby Sally » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:21 pm

On Monday the 23rd, my husband Larry, daughter Celeste, her boyfriend James and I set out from South Lake for Treasure Lakes. Larry doesn't get out on the trail much, so I selected a hike that was only 3 miles. It turned out the trail was rather steep however, but Larry was a champ and made it to the lake in good spirits.

We setup camp, had dinner and it became dark quickly. But surprise! The full moon came out and lit the area in a silvery spectacle. Exhausted, we retired to our sleeping bags and slept great.

In the morning we had a hearty breakfast and explored Treasure Lakes. Later Celeste, James and I day hiked to Chocolate Lakes. Larry chilled in camp and did some exploring of his own. When we came back we waded out to a little rock island and marveled at the beauty surrounding us. Later that evening after dinner we surprised Larry with a birthday cake, complete with candles, smuggled in a bear cannister by Celeste. We once again enjoyed the moonlight.

In the morning we broke up camp and hiked out. We enjoyed hot pastrami sandwiches at Schot's Bakery in Bishop before making the long drive home. Wish I could be in the Sierras more often.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sallymorley ... directlink
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Treasure Lakes / Sierras

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Sally wrote:We enjoyed hot pastrami sandwiches at Schot's Bakery in Bishop ...
Mmm, mmm, mmm! Sounds like a great trip, Sally.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Sally » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Happy belated Birthday Jim. I forgot to mention that its a good thing the rangers didn't catch us lighting all those candles on Larry's cake in a no campfire zone. We didn't have a fire permit!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby EMan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Sally,

You can't post stuff like this. In our brave new world, it will be used as evidence against you!

Glad you had a great time in the Sierra.
"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." -- Nelson Mandela
User avatar
EMan
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: WeHo (LA)

Postby RichMcG » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am

Sally,
We just came back from the Sierra on the 22nd after 8 days in. It was so nice up there, we were in the Thousand Island Lake/ Mt Banner area. I wanted to climb Mt Ritter so bad but we had younger scouts with us. I'll post some pix later.
User avatar
RichMcG
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:23 am
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Postby lilbitmo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Nice work Sally, glad you were able to treat Larry to a special birthday treat like the Sierra's, pictures are making me want to pack my bags and just go :D
User avatar
lilbitmo
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Postby Blueskyhiker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:16 am

I've wanted to plan a trip to the Chocolate Lakes. I know the area is beautiful, but as I'm in the Midwest I've not spent near enough time there.
Hiking...it's not the size of the rock, but the size of the will
Blueskyhiker
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am
Location: Under the open stars, United States

Postby tinaballina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:36 pm

great pics sally, especially like seeing you so focused on the water pumping....lol
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests