According to the Press Enterprise, the Forest Falls Picnic area and the Vivian Creek trailhead are closed due to a problem with bears.
Here's the story.
http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/#a509764
I was gonna laugh but that would have been impolite! But then I thought maybe I should say better late then never. And then I thought maybe there is some new news. Then I thought "what would blue say" then I didn't say anything!halhiker wrote:i guess I'm late to the party on this. I just read the Vivian thread.
FIGHT ON wrote:I was gonna laugh but that would have been impolite! But then I thought maybe I should say better late then never. And then I thought maybe there is some new news. Then I thought "what would blue say" then I didn't say anything!halhiker wrote:i guess I'm late to the party on this. I just read the Vivian thread.
a good thing? Hal? think of all the signs you could have ignored!halhiker wrote:FIGHT ON wrote:I was gonna laugh but that would have been impolite! But then I thought maybe I should say better late then never. And then I thought maybe there is some new news. Then I thought "what would blue say" then I didn't say anything!halhiker wrote:i guess I'm late to the party on this. I just read the Vivian thread.
I didn't read the Vivian thread because I thought it was a TR and it didn't say anything about the trail being closed in the title. I don't read the PE often so I only saw it yesterday. It's not really too close to me. I was thinking of taking my kids to Forest Falls on Saturday so it's a good thing I saw it before I made the trip.
FIGHT ON wrote:a good thing? Hal? think of all the signs you could have ignored!halhiker wrote:FIGHT ON wrote:I was gonna laugh but that would have been impolite! But then I thought maybe I should say better late then never. And then I thought maybe there is some new news. Then I thought "what would blue say" then I didn't say anything!halhiker wrote:i guess I'm late to the party on this. I just read the Vivian thread.
I didn't read the Vivian thread because I thought it was a TR and it didn't say anything about the trail being closed in the title. I don't read the PE often so I only saw it yesterday. It's not really too close to me. I was thinking of taking my kids to Forest Falls on Saturday so it's a good thing I saw it before I made the trip.
halhiker wrote:FIGHT ON wrote:a good thing? Hal? think of all the signs you could have ignored!halhiker wrote:FIGHT ON wrote:I was gonna laugh but that would have been impolite! But then I thought maybe I should say better late then never. And then I thought maybe there is some new news. Then I thought "what would blue say" then I didn't say anything!halhiker wrote:i guess I'm late to the party on this. I just read the Vivian thread.
I didn't read the Vivian thread because I thought it was a TR and it didn't say anything about the trail being closed in the title. I don't read the PE often so I only saw it yesterday. It's not really too close to me. I was thinking of taking my kids to Forest Falls on Saturday so it's a good thing I saw it before I made the trip.
And the solitude that comes with that!
Young bear is entering picnic areas in Southern California mountains
August 12, 2009
When a bear decides it's a fine idea to hop aloft a picnic table surrounded by people, something clearly has gone wrong. But officials say the bear is not to blame.
In fact, the bear that forced the closure of a picnic area next to San Bernardino National Forest's busiest trailhead on July 7 had adapted to a quick and easy food source: hot dogs and other human fare left out, sometimes intentionally, by picnickers and area residents.
"People were leaving a lot of food unattended, they weren't properly throwing it away in the bear-proof cans. There was even reported cases where people were intentionally feeding the bear," said John Miller, deputy public affairs officer for the U.S. Forest Service. "We have a human behavior problem."
Once bears learn to associate human scent with easy food sources, they are more likely to venture into picnic areas, according to Jeff Villepique, associate wildlife biologist at the California Department of Fish and Game.
Picnickers have reportedly reinforced the behavior by tossing food at the bear and getting up close to take photos.
"The bear has pretty much lost its fear of humans," said Villepique.
Although the bear is only about a year and a half old, and weighs about 120 pounds, Villepique said, it could still pose a threat to picnickers who refuse to surrender meals, or to infants who happen to be sitting too close to food. American black bears have been known to attack humans in order to eat them. A 74-year-old woman in Colorado who had been leaving food out for bears was killed outside her house Friday. Her body had been partially consumed by bears, authorities said.
If the bear doesn't learn to stay away, Villepique said, officials most likely will have to euthanize it.
The Forest Service and Department of Fish and Game plan to patrol picnic areas near Vivian Creek trailhead until after Labor Day. Officials have set up two new bear-proof dumpsters, posted warning signs and made attempts to educate the public. The area reopened Saturday, and so far the bear has not turned up again.
Villepique said that's a good sign. "Both species are happier if there's some space between us," he said.
Return to Outdoors-Related Topics
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests