San Bernardino Peak Jan 11 or 12

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Bernardino Peak Jan 11 or 12

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Howdy All :-)

Does anyone want to hike the San Benardino Peak trail in San G this weekend? My usual hiking buddies aren't available. Based on recent San J hikes, I'll carry crampons and ice-axe. I'd like to start at daybreak and go as far as conditions permit. I've also posted on the San G board.

Miles of smiles,
Elle
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Mt Baldy instead

Postby Ellen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Howdy All :-)

The National Weather Service websites predict up to 95-100 winds for the San Gorgonio and San Jacinto range. I will not be hiking in either range tomorrow (Sunday Jan 11).

Baldy looks much calmer. We'll get up early and take a look at the NWS website and decide whether or not to drive to Baldy Village to hike the Bear Canyon trail.

Back in Jan 2007, we encountered severe winds (75 mph +) which blew us (Lance and I) back down the exposed switchback at 8,200 ft. This is the first time I've ever been airbone going uphill on a trail and I didn't like it. We'll turn around if similar conditions exist tomorrow.

I'll post following the hike (or attempted hike).

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests