Question about The Algernon Effect

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Question about The Algernon Effect

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 pm

If you've ever read "Flowers for Algernon", the story is built around a man getting an operation that enhances his ability (intelligence) very rapidly, only to discover that a decline will follow that is just as rapid as the initial improvement.

Kinda like physical training.

I had posted about heart rate training some time ago, and how the body seems to respond rapidly to specific training regimens. Here's the flip side of that coin - when I began training differently (more long slow distance and less short, hard exertion) I immediatly lost all the benefits I had gotten from the intense training! If I try one of the really hard workouts now, I can't even complete it!

I feel like a slug.

Anyway, before I feel too sorry for myself, does anyone here know enough physiology to actually understand what happens to cause both the rapid improvement and the fall from grace?

Any guesses are welcome. I'm stumped.

z
zippetydude

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:50 am

go into more detail about your training like what you were actually doing for how long and when you changed. please. :) and as far as feeling sorry for yourself, that's against the rules!
FIGHT ON

Return to General Chat