Rattlers more toxic, biting more often, public warned

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 am

I'd say that if a specific genetic trait makes rattlers in a certain region far more dangerous than others, it's time for a rattlesnake round up. Let's get the biting going in the other direction - I hear they taste like chicken! :wink:

All kidding aside, reducing that population's numbers would be a good idea, and the non-venomous snakes, along with more mildly venomous pit vipers, would replace them in short order.

Of course, the tricky part would be selecting only the specific species that happens to be unusually toxic, and then culling the herd (as it were) without having people get themselves bit or having people go hog wild and kill every snake they can find.

Maybe I'm not the best judge, since I hate deadly snakes, deadly spiders, etc. Not much sympathy here!

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

zippetydude wrote:I'd say that if a specific genetic trait makes rattlers in a certain region far more dangerous than others, it's time for a rattlesnake round up. Let's get the biting going in the other direction - I hear they taste like chicken! :wink:

I'm a little chicken ... to taste that chicken!
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby AlanK » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:18 pm

zippetydude wrote:All kidding aside, reducing that population's numbers would be a good idea, and the non-venomous snakes, along with more mildly venomous pit vipers, would replace them in short order.

Of course, the tricky part would be selecting only the specific species that happens to be unusually toxic, and then culling the herd (as it were) without having people get themselves bit or having people go hog wild and kill every snake they can find.

Alternatively, we could let them live.

Why?
AlanK

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm

AlanK wrote:I know dozens of people who hike regularly, none of whom have ever been bitten by a snake. We've all seen lots of snakes, heard lots of snakes, and been alert for snakes, but bites just seem to be very rare. Frankly, snakes don't worry me. I stay alert while hiking and give snakes a wide berth, but I am not tempted to go buy more gadgets to address what seems to be a non-problem.

Funny how I felt about bears before I saw that one on Saturday. Feel like I'm Daniel Boon now. I get what you are saying. I am hoping to feel that way some day soon. It just may take some time for me to understand it all so I know what to expect. Kinda feel stupid carrying even a knife now. :roll: Anyway, how close have you come to a snake that you did not know was there? Obviously when you hear one you avoid it but have you ever almost stepped on one or came real close where you were lucky you did not get bit?
FIGHT ON

Postby whitneyfan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:13 am

FIGHT ON wrote:
AlanK wrote: Anyway, how close have you come to a snake that you did not know was there? Obviously when you hear one you avoid it but have you ever almost stepped on one or came real close where you were lucky you did not get bit?

I've come very close one time and no incident. I hike almost weekly in Temescal Canyon off of Sunset Blvd. There are rattlers up there but I've only seen 2 in the last 2 1/2 years.

This early spring around March it was pretty hot and they were out. I was on the trail start just yards from the picnic tables when I noticed a snake sunning itself on the trail. I could not see what kind it was and kept walking normally. By the time I was about 2 or 3 feet away I noticed the V shaped head and thought to myself, " oh, thats a rattlesnake."
I still kept walking as though it was not there. I passed within 12 to 18 inches of its head and it did not move. I think I was less concerned about it striking since it was stretched out and not coiled up. Once I passed I stopped to look at it. Another hiker and her dog were approaching from the other direction and I warned her of the snake.
When it realized it's presence was known, it turned around and slithered into the brush.

This is a heavily traveled trail and I think these snakes are used to seeing people, so this snake was not too alarmed.
whitneyfan

Postby ltclafae » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Whitneyfan,
Rattlesnakes like to bask on the trails in the Spring and Fall. I see them quite often where I hike (Satwiwa area south of Thousand Oaks). They'll finish crossing the trail in the sun and when their upper bodies hit the shade in the brush they stop, leaving the last half of their bodies laying across the trail. Last fall I finally saw a rattlesnake doing it. That was about hundred feet after passing another one that had already fallen asleep.

Dave
ltclafae

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:21 am

What's medical protocol if you're several hours into the wilderness, and someone in your hiking party is bitten by a rattlesnake? Do you hike out?

One reference advises: A person who does get bitten by a snake almost always has plenty of time to get appropriate treatment. Death following significant envenomation generally takes 5 to 10 hours. .... the patient should not be allowed to move about any more than necessary. If possible, kill snake for ID. Do not suck wound. Do not cut wound. Do not apply ice. Constricting bands are debatable. .... if a snake bite patient is simply transported directly to the nearest medical facility, no further pre-hospital treatment may be necessary. Source: NASAR Fundamentals of Search and Rescue, 2005.
Rob

Postby asabat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:57 am

Rob wrote:One reference advises: A person who does get bitten by a snake almost always has plenty of time to get appropriate treatment. Death following significant envenomation generally takes 5 to 10 hours. .... the patient should not be allowed to move about any more than necessary. If possible, kill snake for ID. Do not suck wound. Do not cut wound. Do not apply ice. Constricting bands are debatable. .... if a snake bite patient is simply transported directly to the nearest medical facility, no further pre-hospital treatment may be necessary. Source: NASAR Fundamentals of Search and Rescue, 2005.

Yes, I've always loved that advice. Three days hiking from a road, you have 5 to 10 hours to get to a hospital BUT are not supposed to move more than necessary. It will probably work at a picnic area, it might work in So Cal mountains if with a partner, but I can't see it working deep in the wilderness. I recall seeing one recommendation - make camp and prepare to be very sick for several days, praying you don't die.
asabat

Postby phydeux » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Did some one say snake gaiters?:

https://www.turtleskin.com/store/Produc ... =SAGAITERS

I've got a friend who wears these while hunting, especially in Arizona. Kind of pricey, but might be worthwhile if you're hiking a lot in lower elevations areas where you're more likely to meet up with the critters. They also sell chaps, AND pants with the gaiters already built in. I believe they're also sold at the Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cucamoga.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Previous

Return to General Chat