WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm

MAN THIS SITE IS DEAD DUDE :D SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING ABOUT SOMETHING. Hey Cy? How old are you? I asked the guy at the top of the tram and he wasn't sure. Z? YOU GONNA LET A GIRL OUT DO YOU ON YOUR FAVORITE HIKE? Ricki Kent? If I was you I would do a back to back to back and send a pic of each hike to the Z man. Where the heck is RickM? Anybody ever hiked up to the tram directly under the tram? Is there a local hike that you are aware of that you refuse to hike? Why? Did you ever cut a switchback on Bayden Powell? (tell the truth) Hello?
FIGHT ON

Where is everybody

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am

Fight On - Come to the Skyline trail on Saturday and you wont have to ask that question :)
I am older than 60 and younger than 80. You start to worry when everybody is younger than you are :)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: Where is everybody

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:I am older than 60 and younger than 80. You start to worry when everybody is younger than you are :)

Yes, Cy, but you're the youngest guy in that age range that I've ever met. And you definitely haven't retired! (from hiking)
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 pm

You bored, FIGHT ON? I'm about 90% sure for Skyline this weekend, so hopefully we'll run into each other. You can use up some of that bottled up energy.

"Is there a local hike that you are aware of that you refuse to hike? Why?"

Interesting question! I don't do the Mill Creek J.O. because it's more wandering around on bolders than an actual physical challenge. Also, the final scramble up the scree to try to get to Yucaipa Ridge kind of unnerves me - I got about 2/3 of the way up and turned around. Chickened out. :oops: I wouldn't really mind that, but I want to explore Yucaipa Ridge, and haven't found reasonable access. So I'm looking for another way up there.

Incidentally, I might try some consecutive trips in June, just to see how it goes.

You going to be out there Saturday?

z
zippetydude

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu May 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Mr.Z.
I was 100% for this Saturday before I discovered I have a walk fund raiser. Family first. I really had been planning on Skyline Saturday. I know a dude that is gonna go with the orange county hiking club and wanted to see how he does.
Should be a great day. Hope you can go. :D
FIGHT ON

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Cy,
Can't go this time. I am catching up to you real fast though! (in age) So stick around a while ok?
FIGHT ON

Postby KathyW » Fri May 09, 2008 5:56 am

I've cut all the switchbacks on Baden-Powell, but only when the mountain was covered with snow. :)
KathyW

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 am

KathyW wrote:I've cut all the switchbacks on Baden-Powell, but only when the mountain was covered with snow. :)

Can't help it then unless you put way points on every switchback, but what about when you could clearly see the trail? Feel like I'm following a rising metronome.:lol: Almost get dizzy. Very tempting on the way down.
FIGHT ON

Postby Rick M » Fri May 09, 2008 8:45 am

KathyW said
I've cut all the switchbacks on Baden-Powell, but only when the mountain was covered with snow.
Ditto plus other places like below Trail Crest on Whitney with snow covering.

Fight On commented
... Very tempting on the way down.
During my first year of hiking, long long ago, I cut nearly every switch back thinking that they were like the longest way to get to somewhere and were made for old folks. I could go faster going straight up! Then on one outing some young hiker person, might have been Letty French if any of you know her, really laid into me about doing it. I thought about the situation and looked very carefully at the trail I was on and suddenly marveled at what it did. After that trip, if there was a trail I took it and if I wanted to scramble or climb I went somewhere else.

To make up for the damage I had done in the previous year, on every trail hike I did for awhile, I would shore up eroding places and obliterate places where switch backs were being cut (would take whatever time was needed to restore it to its natural looking state and not just do some makeshift looking thing that gets soon knocked away. I then got invited to trail maintenance/building parties and such. Even to this day, when I hike trails, I still move rocks on the tread of the trail to the side so others don't sprain an ankle or something while they're looking around at nature.

If snow completely covers an area and I'm not familiar with the trail I go where ever but once the trail starts to show, I really try to follow it otherwise later traffic frequently follows the tracks in the snow and causes trail degradation during this time...and I really feel like I'm hurting the mountain. :roll:
Rick M

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri May 09, 2008 9:12 am

Pretty cool :)
FIGHT ON

Return to General Chat