Ellen update

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Ellen update

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Howdy all,

It's been 11 weeks since my ankle fracture/dislocation. I'm going into dirt trail withdrawal, especially as I read the Skyline trip reports.

My ankle isn't healing as quickly as hoped. I'm now using a bone growth stimulator. It's sort of funny to tell people that I'm going home to the stimulator.

My fingers have recovered almost completely from the frostbite. My knees are almost healed as well. I have very interesting looking scar tissue.

I got a Whitney permit for Aug 1 and hope I'll be able to use it.

I'm cranking along on the recumbent bike and plan to try the stairmaster in the next several weeks.

I'll be in Palm Springs on June 7 for a meeting -- does anyone want to get together for a potluck in Round Valley or meet at Las Consuelas?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Ellen, Hope you feel better. Get well soon.
FIGHT ON

Re: Ellen update

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy all,

It's been 11 weeks since my ankle fracture/dislocation. I'm going into dirt trail withdrawal, especially as I read the Skyline trip reports.

My ankle isn't healing as quickly as hoped. I'm now using a bone growth stimulator. It's sort of funny to tell people that I'm going home to the stimulator.

My fingers have recovered almost completely from the frostbite. My knees are almost healed as well. I have very interesting looking scar tissue.

I got a Whitney permit for Aug 1 and hope I'll be able to use it.

I'm cranking along on the recumbent bike and plan to try the stairmaster in the next several weeks.

I'll be in Palm Springs on June 7 for a meeting -- does anyone want to get together for a potluck in Round Valley or meet at Las Consuelas?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Ellen, you're an inspiration. I need to get my lazy buns back in gear. You're probably in better shape than I am right now.

Actually, you're not missing anything on the SJ trails. While you were out, they did the following:
paved all trails
made all trails up hill (both ways)
mandated sardines for trail food,
and global warming has caused everyday to be 110+.

And did I mention the "adopt a tourist" program they've instituted? Yep, each real hiker is assigned a tourist at the start of each hike that you have to carry on your back all the way to your destination and return (pack it in, pack it out; burying used tourists not acceptable).

They did promise to have it all back to normal when you've healed, just make sure to give them a little notice, but in the mean time you're not missing anything. People have been posting old pictures and fake trip reports because they didn't want you to worry, but I felt you should be told. So heal up, but no rush. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 am

Funny, Hiking Jim! :D Ellen, I certainly will be up for a get together on June 7th, no doubt we can rustle up a few more ....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:07 pm

June 7 is a Thursday, so that probably won't work for me, but have fun.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Ellen. I had seen your posting earlier, but have been pondering that August 1 Whitney permit...

If you decide your body is ready, I believe you'll summit, without a doubt.

I was just wondering if you were going to come down via burro, hang gliding, or perhaps employ some recent Bear Grylls invention (like rock surfing)?

When it comes to force of will, you're in your element, and the mountain will give way. When it comes to force of gravity, I don't think I'm mentioning anything to you that you don't already know when I say that the granite steps coming back down will offer quite a bit of - how shall I phrase it . . . peak load resistance?

I'm just thinking of a couple of sections, like the rather loose stone sections as you pass the windows along the divide ridge, and then that staircase like section roughly from Outpost Camp up to Trail Camp. Those beat me up on an average year - a recovery year sounds rough.

Either way, have fun with your stimulator!

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 pm

zippetydude wrote:Either way, have fun with your stimulator!

That's what I like about this forum -- stimulating conversation. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 am

Howdy Z,

Be assured that I won't do Whitney on August 1 unless the ankle and rest of the body are ready. My Whitney "prep" hikes always include San G via Vivian. If I can survive the descent, I'm good for Whitney.

The good news -- I'm back on the stairmaster and should be hitting the trails by early June. YEEHAW!!! Although the recumbent bike has been a pain in the butt (literally), it's kept me in good aerobic shape. The key now is to gradually transition to the weight bearing of hiking.

Howdy Jim,

You know, I really need to look at a calendar when I post dates.

I'll be in Palm Springs on Saturday May 31 and Sunday June 1.

Party anyone?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 am

Howdy Z,

Be assured that I won't do Whitney on August 1 unless the ankle and rest of the body are ready. My Whitney "prep" hikes always include San G via Vivian. If I can survive the descent, I'm good for Whitney.

The good news -- I'm back on the stairmaster and should be hitting the trails by early June. YEEHAW!!! Although the recumbent bike has been a pain in the butt (literally), it's kept me in good aerobic shape. The key now is to gradually transition to the weight bearing of hiking.

Howdy Jim,

Party anyone?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 15, 2008 11:56 am

Ellen wrote:Howdy Jim,

Party anyone?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

lol :lol: What? Look at a calendar! That's cheating!

Well, It'd be good to see folks and all. Time is really tight right now, so I'm not sure. If there were an evening gathering, maybe I could convince Michiko that I'll get enough stuff done during the day to justify going out. Boy, has my life ever changed. :lol:

What do you mean I can't go hiking all day every Saturday and do seven or eight back packs a year? :shock: :lol:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to General Chat