About the double postings we have seen recently...

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

About the double postings we have seen recently...

Postby Norris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Folks, when posting, if you get one of those "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" responses instead of the expected "Your message was successfully posted" replies, don't assume your post failed and hit the back button and then resubmit the post without checking! Start a second (separate) IE window, log in, and check to see if your post made it. It usually will have. This just happened to me twice. What I think is going on is this: The web server is running slowly, your browser (IE) times out while waiting for the reply, and displays the error message. Or possibly the web server is dropping the connection for some reason. No way to tell without doing a network trace, but the important thing to understand is, even if IE displays an error to you, that doesn't mean your post did not make it.
Norris

Postby FIGHT ON » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Could you repeat that please? :)
FIGHT ON

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm

I complained to my web hosting today, and I think they fixed it. Fingers crossed....
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Norris » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Perry, how about setting up a PayPal link for members to contribute a few bucks from time to time? You are providing a hugely valuable service to a lot of people, for FREE. And high-performance web hosting is definitely not free. Speaking for myself, I would certainly be willing to kick in a few bucks...
Norris

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Is it working a little better? It seems that way, though not quite as fast as it was a few weeks ago. GoDaddy said that this site uses absolute paths where relative paths could be used, and that the images slow down the pageloads. I checked the php and tpl files, and I don't think the first statement is accurate. The images are very small (except for the ones hosted elsewhere), and it was running fast a few weeks ago under the same conditions. So I really think that GoDaddy overbooked their servers with too many customers.

If your browser is reloading the images every time, that will slow things down. Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Settings

I appreciate the offer to help pay for better web hosting, but for the same price ($7/month) I might be able to get better hosting someplace else. The forum itself doesn't cost me extra except for the domain name and domain aliasing folders feature, and the bandwidth is not anywhere near my limit (supposedly :) ). One thing I like about the forum is the fact that it's not tied to money: it's open to the poorest person who walks into the library to use a computer. Too many things in this world revolve around $. I don't judge others for doing what they have to do to pay the bills, and understandably money makes public things run better. But I like the idea of offering something that's just free for people to use and enjoy. It sends a positive message I think.

At the moment, I don't have a whole lot of time to work on the site, but if anybody knows of another company that runs really well with multiple domain names... Or I could upgrade my geocities account to allow php... As far as offers to help pay for this, I don't mind accepting small amounts (It's really cheap). But I don't want to pollute the board with a PayPal symbol at the bottom of every page. Other forums, such as Summitpost, receive considerably more web traffic and high resolution image downloads, so the Google ads make sense (although I would prefer the PayPal donations instead). This forum is so tiny that it hardly costs anything to host this, given that I'm already hosting other sites on the same account for $7/month.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Norris » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 am

Hi Perry, yes, it does seem faster now. I haven't had a problem with my last few posts.
Norris

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 am

I'm still seeing noticably slower time than on other websites. Not a complaint, just feedback. If GoDaddy or whoever says the prob is fixed, it's not quite just yet.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm

I always have trouble posting. It's nice to know that for once it's not my fault. :) and I'm not complaining either. :)
FIGHT ON

Return to General Chat