North to Alaska

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

North to Alaska

Postby Bivouac » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Heading north today. If anyone happens to be in my neck of the woods this summer (Fairbanks - Anchorage - Seward) and would like to experience some Alaskan style grade and vistas, please give me a shout. We have some fantastic mountain races as well:

http://www.alaskamountainrunners.org/calendar.htm

And if you just want to peruse the trail and see some great scenery, I would gladly meet you to do that also. The 4th of July in Seward is an awesome event, many times produced on ESPN and the trail is worth climbing just to say "I done it"!

In the Anchorage basin, or within a few hours drive, the possibilities are limitless.

Meanwhile, enjoy c2c, skyline, and all the other great trails and we'll see you in October.
Stay Cooooool,
Bivouac, AKA Sid
Hike in the Alaska midnight sun, ascend 10K ft through Haleakala on Maui...email me at sidsprojects@yahoo.com
Bivouac

Postby Rick M » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Have a good flight Bivouac (Sid). I have some old REI/climbing friends that moved to Anchorage that I haven't seen for awhile so maybe...I notice you also do gold mining? Panning or dredging or hard rock? Maybe pay for the trip what with the price of gold, just no claim jumping please :wink:
Rick M

Postby KathyW » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Stan -

Have a safe trip north! Alaska must be wonderful in the summer - I've never been there. This summer I'll have to be happy getting as far north as Washington and Idaho.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby MikeCaAlaska » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Have a good flight Bivouac (Sid) - envy you on your early trip north. I am headed up in May for a few days and then July. Am a desert transplant from Anchorage and live in Girdwood as much as I can (condo a block from the lifts).

Thanks for the web site - miss those runs and have spent lots of time on the mtn at Alyeska and will be glad when the renovations are done so can get back into my runs to the tram. Miss the late season avalanches at Crow Pass as I try to get early trail runs in.

May do the Turnagin Arm run in May if I can work it out for a flight and getting my truck out of the snow /mud/ dirt on the upper hillside in a few weeks.

Mike
Mike
MikeCaAlaska

1700 miles and halfway home

Postby Bivouac » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks for the feed back y'all. Actually i am driving, not flying, and am 1800 miles north in the little town of Quesnell right now and ready to continue my northern journey. Catching snow all the way (unseasonal) and am fighting dear...10's of thousands of dear, run back down out of the high country due to this white stuff i would assume.

As i said, anyone heading north give me a call. Should be in Seward for this years Mt Marathon and WILL be bringing home a few hundred pounds of salmon! Maybe i will catch you this summer too Mike. Good luck digging out your truck.

Laters,
sid
Hike in the Alaska midnight sun, ascend 10K ft through Haleakala on Maui...email me at sidsprojects@yahoo.com
Bivouac

North to Alaska

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi Sid -One of our local hikers Rick Kent (Snow Creek in one day solo) summited Denali on June 8 and took 1100 photos and 90 minutes of hi-def video
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=2351
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Thanks Cy

Postby Bivouac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Noticed Denali Pics...very fond of em...thanks Cy. BTW, I see Denali on every clear day from Fairbanks 120 miles north.
Been watching the heat waves down there...guess lots of people bought summer tram passes. A good alternative.
Sid
Bivouac

Return to General Chat