Trail Food

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby AlanK » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:49 am

FIGHT ON wrote:I walked that Gabrielino Trail on Saturday. All 28.5 miles of it. I started at six am at JPL and finished at six pm at Chantry Flats.

FIGHT ON wrote:Image

There is an ongoing discussion of the Gabrielino Trail on the San Gabriel Mountains board. You might consider posting your pictures and a trip report here.
AlanK

Trail food

Postby Ellen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:31 am

Howdy Simonov,

Sorry for the delayed response -- I was lecturing at a sports medicine meeting in Long Beach 8)

I am honored that you want to share my post on hiking food -- you absolutely have my permission.

I look forward to meeting you and the OC hiking group again when I hit the trails again this summer.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

simonov wrote:
Ellen,

I found this single post so useful and informative I have formatted it as a PDF for distribution among my hiking club members (you met some of them on the tram just before your recent most memorable hike). The file is available for download here. I'd like your permission to publicize the download.

Thanks.
Ellen

Endurance training

Postby Ellen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Howdy Phydeux,

I completely agree 8) It's well established that endurance trained individuals:
1) Store more muscle glycogen (primary fuel for high intensity endurance exercise such as a marathon run)
2) Burn more fat and less muscle glycogen during prolonged endurance exercise

This glycogen-sparing effect aids endurance because muscle glycogen stores are limited and fat stores are abundant.

Endurance training confers a dual performance advantage -- the muscle glycogen stores are higher at the start of exercise and the endurnace trained person depletes them at a slower rate.

As Phydeux pointed out, I like to be as fit as possible so that I can enjoyably maintain a faster hiking pace and cover more miles on the trail.
Taking in the proper fuel and fluid makes the hike more pleasant by preventing dehydration and maintaining blood glucose. However, nutrition cannot take the place of hiking fitness/conditioning.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

phydeux wrote:
One thing not mentioned above is you've got to be in shape to take advantage of all this nutrition stuff. If your primary exercise is channel surfing, don't expect any gels, drinks, pills (or should I say 'supplements?') to get you going any faster, farther, or higher. The better shape you're in, the faster (or easier) your hike will be, the more ground you'll be able to cover, and the quicker you'll be able to recover.

We now return you to your normal posting . . . .
Ellen

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey AlanK, I did not notice your post. Looks like that guy already may have gone on that hike. DUDE DO YOU KNOW WHO RICK KENT IS? I just saw his hikes on his webpage. That guy started from Heaton flats and went all the way over to Manker Flats, AND BACK...... IN ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know this guy? Maybe he is really Clark Kent in disguise. Should wear a cape when he hikes.
FIGHT ON

Postby AlanK » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:Hey AlanK, I did not notice your post. Looks like that guy already may have gone on that hike. DUDE DO YOU KNOW WHO RICK KENT IS? I just saw his hikes on his webpage. That guy started from Heaton flats and went all the way over to Manker Flats, AND BACK...... IN ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know this guy? Maybe he is really Clark Kent in disguise. Should wear a cape when he hikes.

Yes, I know Rick Kent. He is a very fit and accomplished hiker/climber. Clark is the little brother in that family!
AlanK

Postby tinaballina » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:22 pm

i always bring:
peanut butter sandwich
licorice (prefer rj's natural rasberry from whole foods)
fig newtons
and lots of water.
tinaballina

Postby tinaballina » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:22 pm

i always bring:
peanut butter sandwich
licorice (prefer rj's natural rasberry from whole foods)
fig newtons
and lots of water.
tinaballina

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:24 pm

Today is double-post day. :D
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Today is double-post day. :D
Counting the days until October...
Perry