Trail Food

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Trail Food

Postby lipbiter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm curious what people bring food-wise for a LONG day hike; say C2C or Humber to SJ Peak?

P.S. I'd really like to know what Ellen packs given her background.
lipbiter

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:28 pm

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY AND A BASE BALL BAT. No seriously I make three pbjs, granola, a bannana, and a ton of water. I carry two of those 100 oz bladders and a Platypus for refilling. I put lime Hydralyte in the bladders and off I go. FIGHT ON
Last edited by FIGHT ON on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIGHT ON

Postby AlanK » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:28 pm

I use Ctyomax -- the amount depends on how much I'm sweating and drinking. I like GU and use maybe 2 on a C2C. I also use various energy bars -- I mostly use the Odwalla bars which feel to me like trail food -- if they fall in the dirt it doesn't hurt the esthetic appeal. :D I also take a sandwich or two and an apple for lunch. For longer day hikes, I just eat more GU and bars. It doesn't take much -- one can only burn so many calories in a day! :) Having learned the last lesson slowly, I also find that I eat less of all of the above than I used to.
AlanK

Re: Trail Food

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 pm

lipbiter wrote:P.S. I'd really like to know what Ellen packs given her background.

I understand she has a special connection with crackers, sardines, and cream of chicken soup ... :wink:

Seriously, here are some things I like:
Trader Joe's Hummus (wrap in fleece and bury in pack)
Pita bread for the hummus
Dried fruit
Chocolate anything :D
Trader Joe's Force Primeval bread bars (a tad heavy but don't crush as easily as most)
Gu shots (or Cliff)
A few trail bars of some sort or other (did someone say "on sale?")

Basically, I want things that can be metabolised quickly (read "carbs") and easily, things like breads, fruits, vegetables, and sweets (never underestimate the restorative power of chocolate!). I don't want a lot of protein (nuts, cheese, lunch meat, etc.) because they take a lot of oxygen to metabolise and "weigh me down" on a hike. The "weigh me down" thing is less of an issue when not at altitude or when not climbing steeply.

I do carry trail mix, jerky, extra trail bars and extra Gu shots as emergency rations. Not that I (ahem) :oops: have ever miscalculated and gotten back late.

In the winter I really like chocolate covered nuts. When I'm cold and needing calories but really whupped, TJ's chocolate covered almonds are a life saver. TJ's chocolate covered soy beans ain't so bad either.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:45 pm

AlanK, What's the difference between Ctyomax and other drinks. Is it like redbull? FIGHT ON
FIGHT ON

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Jim. Chocolate huh? I was hiking back from San Jacinto to the tram after doing the c2c hike last year and joined with this guy that was talking about chocolate alot. He claimed that chocolate milk was the perfect thing to put in your body after a killer hike. We both had two each at the tram. You think he just likes chocolate like you or is there really something with chocolate? FIGHT ON.
FIGHT ON

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Not sure, but I have heard that chocolate contains hormones that are similar to those produced during reproductive activities. Also, some of my female friends have mentioned that they really like chocolate on a certain "monthly basis." :oops:
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Lately, it's been carb-boom (enery gel) to and gatorade or gookinaide along with water to drink. I used to carry more food but I'll always end up just eating the energy gels; so I stopped carrying much else. Sometimes I'll throw a candybar and/or a red bull energy drink in my pack too.
KathyW

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:21 pm

KathyW, What's the difference between Gookinaid Hydralyte and the energy jels and drinks? FIGHT ON
FIGHT ON

Postby AlanK » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:03 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:AlanK, What's the difference between Ctyomax and other drinks. Is it like redbull? FIGHT ON

I get the powder that's aimed at electrolyte replacement. It also supplies carbs. I think it's similar to Gookinade, Gatorade, etc.
AlanK

Next

Return to General Chat