Amateur (Ham) Radio and hiking

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Amateur (Ham) Radio and hiking

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:17 pm

From earlier thread.
magikwalt wrote:After a attending a meeting with RMRU the following is noted. They may possibly use standard FSR/GMRS radios to stay in touch while walking on the mountain. If they were told a person needing rescue had a like radio with them they would be listening.

Jim Bakos wrote:Actually, we use commercial FM radios (Motorola Spectra's and MT1000's), But we carry FRS/GMRS radios in all our rescue vehicles. If we know you have a radio (HAM included), we'll attempt to make contact with you -- if we also know the frequency, of course.

asabat wrote:Is there a preferred ham freq? Maybe the standard 146.520? I've often thought if necessary it would be listening to SAR (I presume 155.160?) and relaying through whatever repeater I could reach.
My list of repeaters http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct

Jim Bakos wrote:If you’re an amateur radio operator, I’d bring the local repeater guide and plan on using one of the many that can be hit from the high country. Make contact with someone and have them call 911 with your information. We don’t monitor the backcountry frequencies – that would require a lot of resources.

We would expect if you had FRS/GMRS that you would leave a list of channels and sub-tones with the person that will report you missing (along with your itinerary, equipment list, boot type, wilderness experience, etc…).

MikeJ wrote:I carry a Yaesu VX-5R. It is about the size of a deck of cards. The weight of the radio with battery and small whip antenna is 8.7 ounces. However, I usually use a corded speaker/mic so I can put the radio in a pocket on my pack. With the speaker/mic the total weight is 10.5 ounces. In remote areas you can usually reach a repeater when you can not reach a cell tower. A fellow amateur and I used to help lead scout campouts to places like Anza Borrego. We would ask the other adults to check if anyone had cell phone coverage. Usually nobody did. We would then autopatch through our club repeater on top of Santiago Peak and call our wives. And, there is no longer a Morse code requirement for the General license.

asabat wrote:As Mike said, a handheld VHF/UHF radio is about 8 ounces. Add a good telescoping antenna for better coverage.

About all I can say about repeater coverage is that it is different than cell phone coverage. In some areas, like Borrego, repeaters are accessible ALMOST anywhere. In the canyons of the John Muir Trail, not much coverage for anything, but with some surprises. (I document a few of these at http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct.)

HF gear often weighs more, but can weigh less with the low-power rigs. HF requires a much longer antenna, usually made of wire strung between trees, etc. It's not common in the backcountry except by hobbiests, although I once made a phone call for a guy who was two days into the Emigrant Wilderness. He had a tiny homemade Morse code rig.

The autopatches to the phone system are cool, but almost exclusively require membership in that particular repeater system. Still, you can usually get a local to make a call when needed.

Morse code is no longer required for any ham license. The test itself is 35 multiple choice questions from a pool of about 500 questions that are published in books. My daughter got her license at 11, so it's not real technical.

AA6J
Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:52 pm

asabat & MikeJ, I plan to take the Technician license exam next Saturday (3/15/2008); therefore, I'm in the market for a hiking transceiver. Any shopping tips? Do's and don'ts? MikeJ mentioned he carries a Yaesu VX-5R (discontinued, replaced by VX-7R). What accessories should I purchase with my transceiver? Does one battery pack last through a day of hiking? Car antenna? Mini-manual? Case? Advertising for Yaesu VX-7R mentions PC software -- what's that about?

Should I join one or more repeater clubs? When I bought my study guide, I picked up flyers on SoCal's Papa System, as well as flyers on repeater systems down here in San Diego County (e.g., Palomar, Sandra, and ECRA). The map of Papa System gives the impression of coverage of the Three Saints -- is that coverage OK or spotty? Should I care about IRLP, Echolink, or D-Star?
Rob

Postby asabat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 am

Rob (and others),

Take a look at my other website http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct/ .

I have info there on ham equipment and how to use it in the backcountry. In short, I have the Yaesu VX6 (cheaper and smaller than the VX7 but with the same power output) and replaced the antenna with a telescoping Smiley whip antenna. IMO an antenna like this is crucial in the backcountry.

I'm not familiar with the Papa repeater system. It looks like they have good coverage but they don't mention what it costs. Some of these linked systems are "closed" to all but members and some cost a few 100 a year to join. Many others, especially in the 2-meter (144 - 179 mHz) are open and free, although it's good to join those you use a lot, as someone has to maintain the equipment.

My site (links at the bottom of the site - click "California") also has a list of some repeaters for the Pacific Crest Trail and some places they should work. I'm in San Diego, and the Palomar Club and ECRA both have repeaters on Palomar that cover the higher southern slopes of San Jacinto. There's also a repeater in Idyllwild (although I haven't used it) and a repeater on the top of the tram. The tram repeater is used by some of the state park rangers as well, so it's great for the area between the tram, Round Valley, and the summit.

Hope this helps,
AsABat (AA6J)
asabat

Postby asabat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:44 am

Rob wrote:Should I care about IRLP, Echolink, or D-Star?

No. Those use the internet to relay voice from one repeater system to another. For regular backcountry use they aren't typically used.
asabat

Postby asabat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:57 am

I see I forgot to answer these:

Rob wrote:Does one battery pack last through a day of hiking? Car antenna? Mini-manual? Case? Advertising for Yaesu VX-7R mentions PC software -- what's that about?

The battery for those radios SHOULD last for a day. It depends on how you use it. I usually leave my radio off and only turn it on to use it. Of course, this means no one can call me, but that's ok because I'm hiking. Still, take a second battery - they're small. There are also cases available to use AA batteries, but on most radios those don't last long and don't provide the same power output. (On the VX6, it's 5 watts with the provided battery but I think only 1/2 watt with 3 AA batteries.)

A car antenna makes a big difference if using the radio driving. A cheap mag mount is fine. However, if you will use it in the car much, I strongly recommend buying a second radio, one designed for mobile use. It is easier to change frequencies, has more power (usually 50 watts instead of 5), and safer. Also, I've had the handheld radio in the car banged around enough to damage the antenna fitting. You can get amps to boost the power of the handheld when used in the car, but spend your money on a mobile radio instead.

Mini-manual - probably not a bad idea. I made my own cheat sheet, but Bernie makes some nice ones http://www.niftyaccessories.com/ and he's a hiker too.

There's two uses for a case. One is just to protect the radio from scrapes and scratches. Use or not as you want. I used to use them, but now am just careful and prefer to save the weight :) . In my pack I do put the radio in a ziplock in case it rains. The other use is a case that goes on your belt. This is nice IF it has a strap to make sure it can't fall out. But, watch that antenna, I broke one when it caught on a branch.

The PC software lets you program the radio from the computer rather than the tiny radio keyboard. It's like a spreadsheet. Some of these radios have 1,000 memories, and you'll use a few to program in all the repeaters on your hike. (I also program in some public service freqs like SAR and CalFire and weather - the radio will not transmit there but will work as a scanner.) Consider that programming a repeater includes the frequency and PL tone, and you'll want to give them an alpha name for ease of use.
asabat

thanks

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:22 am

asabat, many thanks .... much to absorb.

. . . Rob :)
Rob

Postby asabat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:36 am

Your welcome.

I had an email conversation over about 4 months with a PCT thruhiker about the pros and cons of ham radio and its use on the trail - the transcript is here:

http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct/faq.htm
asabat

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:20 am

asabat wrote:Take a look at my other website http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct/.

AsABat, on your website at page http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct/faq.htm you present a great discussion of handheld transceivers, HAM radio operation in the wilderness (citing specific examples of success and failure in hitting repeaters), as well as comparisons of batteries and antennas. It answered all my questions. Thanks. :D
Rob

Postby MikeJ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:46 pm

asabat knows his stuff. I agree with everything he said.

For me the decision to get a HAM license was made easier by the fact that several friends in my somewhat loose hiking group already had licenses and carried handhelds when they went hiking/backpacking. When we prepared an emergency plan as part of a scout outing, in addition to route information we would include a frequency and a schedule of when we would monitor that frequency ( 2 or 3 times during the day ). The rest of the time we kept the radios off to save batteries. The 5x has a feature that lets you set it to turn on after a specified interval. That helps me remember when I am supposed to monitor the frequency. The 7x has a similar feature but it is a little smarter and lets you actually set a time to turn on.

I got a soft case for mine. It is made of material similar to a wetsuit. The radio slips in and it has a strap to keep it from sliding out. I use that for a little extra protection from bumps. The case has a belt loop but I usually put the radio in one of the outside pockets of my pack so I can zip it in place. I replaced the original antenna with a 17" flexible antenna that works pretty well. I also got the extension microphone/speaker. With the radio in one of the lower outside pockets of my pack the antenna goes up along the side of the pack where there just happens to be a small web loop. I put the top of the antenna through the loop and that holds it close to the pack so it is well protected. I can then clip the extension mike to my shoulder strap so it is in easy reach while I am hiking.

asabat has a lot of information about repeaters and I can't add anything to that. Instead I will talk about another aspect that I have found very useful, which is communicating just among our group using simplex. There have been several times where we decided to split our group into 2 or 3 smaller groups. Having several people with handhelds made it easy to stay in touch. I have had surprising success reaching people in the mountains. For example, we were taking some scouts up Mt. Whitney. One group drove up to the portal the day before and hiked to Outpost Camp in the morning. I came up later in the day with a 2nd group. We were just a little way up from the portal when I tried calling to the first group. I actually got through and was able to let them know we had arrived. Since they knew we were coming they had dinner waiting when we arrived at camp.
MikeJ

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:43 pm

MikeJ wrote:I usually put the radio in one of the outside pockets of my pack so I can zip it in place. I replaced the original antenna with a 17" flexible antenna that works pretty well. I also got the extension microphone/speaker. With the radio in one of the lower outside pockets of my pack the antenna goes up along the side of the pack where there just happens to be a small web loop. I put the top of the antenna through the loop and that holds it close to the pack so it is well protected. I can then clip the extension mike to my shoulder strap so it is in easy reach while I am hiking.

MikeJ, thanks for the info including description of how you carry your Yaesu VX-5R.

With 5R no longer produced, I'm comparing capabilities of 6R and 7R, and although 7R costs more, 7R does not include all features of lesser-priced 6R, such as Emergency automatic ID (EAI). Owner's manual for 6R describes EAI as a "man down" transponder for firefighters, in that IF unit is switched on, and IF settings are preprogrammed, and IF someone is late checking in and assumed to be incapacitated, then other emergency personnel can use their handheld transceivers to activate an emergency beacon in the "down man's" handheld. I'm trying to imagine if this might have a hiking application.

Higher-priced quad-band 7R features 6-meter band. If I opt for lesser-priced tri-band 6R (with no 6-meter band) for hiking, what am I giving up?

Studying for HAM Tech exam is fun. In the 1960s I studied for the Novice exam but did not take the exam. Comparing exam questions then and now, in the old days there were vacuum tube questions (now all gone). Nevertheless, the current exam has new questions about new frequency bands that did not exist in the old days, and new questions about interfacing with something called the Internet. :)
Rob

Next

Return to General Chat